Epidemiology of Injury in Olympic Sports comprehensively covers what is known about the distribution and determinants of injury and injury rates in each sport. The editors and contributors have taken an evidence-based approach and adopted a uniform methodology to assess the data available. Each chapter is illustrated with tables which make it easy to examine injury factors between studies within a sport and between sports.
With contributions from internationally renowned experts, this is an invaluable reference book for medical doctors, physical therapists and athletic trainers who serve athletes and sports teams, and for sports medicine scientists and healthcare professionals who are interested in the epidemiological study of injury in sports.
List of Contributors.
Part 1: Summer Sports.
- 1 Aquatics (Sasinos Stavrianeas).
- 2 Archery (John C. Hildenbrand IV and Ghazi M. Rayan).
- 3 Athletics (Mitchell J. Rauh and Caroline A. Macera).
- 4 Badminton (Martin Fahlsröm).
- 5 Baseball (Glenn S. Fleisig, Christoher S. McMichael and James R. Andrews).
- Basketball (Gaylene McKay and Jill Cook).
- 7 Boxing (Tsharni Zazryn and Paul Mccrory).
- 8 Cycling (Abdrew L. Pruitt and Todd M. Carver).
- 9 Equestrian (Paul Mccrory and Michael Turner).
- 10 Fencing (Peter A. Harmer).
- 11 Field Hockey (Karen Murtaugh).
- 12 Gymnastics (Gregory S. Kolt and Dennis J. Caine).
- 13 Judo (Peter A. Harmer).
- 14 Modern Pentathlon (Jens Kelm).
- 15 Rowing (Jane Rumball).
- 16 Sailing (Vernon Neville).
- 17 Soccer (Football) (Carolyn A. Emery).
- 18 Softball (Stephen W. Marshall and Johna K. Register-Mihalik).
- 19 Taekwondo (Willey Pieter).
- 20 Team Handball (Handball) (Grethe Myklebust).
- 21 Tennis (Babette M. Pluim and J. Bart Staal).
- 22 Triathlon (Veronica E. Vleck and David J. Bentley).
- 23 Volleyball (Evert Verhagen).
- 24 Weightlifting (Justin W. L. Keogh).
- 25 Wrestling (Dennis J. Caine, Kasey Young and Warren B. Howe).
Part 2: Winter Sports.
- 26 Alpine Skiing (Tonje Wale Flørened and Arne Ekeland).
- 27 Figure Skating (Caroline G. Caine).
- 28 Ice Hockey (Brenda H.F. Lau and Brian W. Benson).
- 29 Snowboarding (Kelly Russell, Brent E. Hagel and Claude Goulet).
Part 3: Paralympic Sports.
- 30 Paralympic Sports (A.D.J. Webborn).
Part 4: Injury Prevention and Further Research.
- 31 Injury Prevention in Sports (Melissa A. Schiff and Rebekah O'Halloran).
- 32 Conclusions and Further Research (Peter A. Harmer).