About the Book
Basic Biomechanics provides balanced coverage of anatomical structure, biomechanics, and applications, as recommended by the Biomechanics Academy of AAHPERD. Numerous applications from sport, ergonomics, and daily living-both qualitative and quantitative'help demonstrate the relevance of biomechanical principles beyond elite sports performance and into everyday life. The quantitative aspects of biomechanics are presented in a manageable, progressive fashion, and a mathematics appendix helps make the material accessible to all students, regardless of mathematical skill level.
- Topics added or significantly expanded in this edition include bone modeling and remodeling, osteoporosis, bone changes during spaceflight, articular cartilage function, osteoarthritis, muscle fiber type conversion, the stretch-shortening cycle, neuromuscular fatigue and injuries, ACL rupture, balance and falling, and gait economy.
- Updated throughout, the text incorporates the latest information from the biomechanics research literature.
- A major new section in Chapter 1 discusses the development of a revolutionary new figure skate.
- This edition of the book can be bundled (for a small additional price) with MaxTRAQ¿ software specially formulated for Basic Biomechanics, Sixth Edition. This downloadable analysis software offers you an easy-to-use tool to track data and analyze various motions selected by the authors.
- Demonstrates the importance of biomechanics to everyday life, not just its relevance to elite sports performance, through numerous applications from sport, ergonomics, and daily living.
- Helps students to understand this quantitative field by first introducing them to the concepts of problem-solving in Chapter 1, by covering mathematical concepts simply and progressing to more difficult levels using two problem sets, by providing support in terms of examples, and by including an appendix on basic math skills.
- Takes an integrated approach to covering mechanical concepts, ensuring that the three key areas of anatomical structure, biomechanics, and application receive the full coverage required by the Biomechanics Academy of AAHPERD. Applications appear throughout.
- Integrates technology throughout: an Online Learning Center box appears on every chapter-opening page, directing the student to online resources, while lists of related websites at the end of each chapter offer additional pertinent sources of information.
- Offers effective pedagogy, including end-of-chapter glossaries as well as lists of key concepts, marginal definitions, sample problems, laboratory experiences, chapter summaries, problems, and references.
- Uses American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons joint angle measurement schemeenabling students to read the professional and medical literature and have a head start on clinical careers such as physical therapy.Uses the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons' joint angle measurement scheme, enabling students to read the professional and medical literature and have a head start on clinical careers such as physical therapy.
Table of Contents
1 What Is Biomechanics?
2 Kinematic Concepts for Analyzing Human Motion
3 Kinetic Concepts for Analyzing Human Motion
4 The Biomechanics of Human Bone Growth and Development
5 The Biomechanics of Human Skeletal Articulations
6 The Biomechanics of Human Skeletal Muscle
7 The Biomechanics of the Human Upper Extremity
8 The Biomechanics of the Human Lower Extremity
9 The Biomechanics of the Human Spine
10 Linear Kinematics of Human Movement
11 Angular Kinematics of Human Movement
12 Linear Kinetics of Human Movement
13 Equilibrium and Human Movement
14 Angular Kinetics of Human Movement
15 Human Movement in a Fluid Medium
A Basic Mathematics and Related Skills
B Trigonometric Functions
C Common Units of Measurement
D Anthropometric Parameters for the Human Body