Clinical Anaesthesia Lecture Notes provides a comprehensive introduction to the modern principles and practices of anaesthesia for medical students, trainee doctors, anaesthetic nurses and other health professionals working with anaesthetists. This fifth edition has been fully updated to reflect changes in clinical practice, guidelines, equipment and drugs.
Key features include:
• A new chapter on the roles of the anaesthetist
• Increased coverage of the peri-operative management of the overweight and obese patient, as well as an introduction to the fundamental aspects of paediatric anaesthesia
• Coverage of recent developments within the specialty, including the rapidly growing recognition of the importance of non-technical skills (NTS), and the management of some of the most common peri-operative medical emergencies
• Links to further online resources
• A companion website at www.lecturenoteseries.com/anaesthesia featuring interactive true/false questions, SAQs, and a list of further reading and resources
Full-colour diagrams, photographs, as well as learning objectives at the start of each chapter, support easy understanding of the knowledge and skills of anaesthesia, allowing confident transfer of information into clinical practice.
About the companion website xii
1 An introduction to anaesthesia 1
2 Anaesthetic assessment and preparation for surgery 7
3 Anaesthetic equipment and monitoring 25
4 Drugs and fluids used during anaesthesia 45
5 The practice of general anaesthesia 64
6 Local and regional anaesthesia 90
7 Specialized areas of anaesthesia 99
8 Recovery from anaesthesia 110
9 Perioperative medical emergencies: recognition and management 132
Matthew Gwinnutt MB ChB (Hons) FRCA, Specialist Trainee in Anaesthesia, Health Education North West, Mersey School of Anaesthesia, UK
Carl Gwinnutt, MB BS MRCS LRCP FRCA, Emeritus Consultant, Salford Royal Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, UK
Matthew Gwinnutt MB ChB (Hons) FRCA, Specialist Trainee in Anaesthesia, Health Education North West, Mersey School of Anaesthesia, UK.
Carl Gwinnutt, MB BS MRCS LRCP FRCA, Emeritus Consultant, Salford Royal Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, UK.