This 14th edition of the phenomenally successful Principles of Anatomy and
Physiology continues to set the standard for the discipline. Written and superbly
illustrated for two-term, introductory Anatomy and Physiology students, this
text offers a rich and complete teaching and learning environment.
WileyPLUS is a research-based online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS builds students' confidence because it takes the guesswork out of studying by providing a clear roadmap; what to do, how to do it, if they did it right. With WileyPLUS, students take more initiative so you'll have a greater impact. Access to WileyPLUS sold separately.
New to this edition
- Completely revised feedback diagrams throughout the material that consistently and visually strengthen student understanding of this important principle.
- Newly designed end-of chapter “Focus on Homeostasis” pages
- New chapter opening questions stimulate interest with new accompanying photos.
- Clinical Connections have been incorporated into several figures for immediate reinforcement of the relationship between the illustration and Clinical Connection.
- The anatomical terminology is based on Terminology Anatomica – enhanced glossary for this edition.
Table of contents
Unit I: Organization of the Human Body
- 1. An Introduction to the Human Body
- 2. The Chemical Level of Organization
- 3. The Cellular Level of Organization
- 4. The Tissue Level of Organization
- 5. The Integumentary System
Unit II: Principles of Support and Movement
- 6. The Skeletal System: Bone Tissue
- 7. The Skeletal System: The Axial Skeleton
- 8. The Skeletal System: The Appendicular Skeleton
- 9. Joints
- 10. Muscle Tissue
- 11. The Muscular System
Unit III: Control Systems of the Human Body
- 12. Nervous Tissue
- 13. The Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves
- 14. The Brain and Cranial Nerves
- 15. The Autonomic Nervous System
- 16. Sensory, Motor and Integrative Systems
- 17. The Special Senses
- 18. The Endocrine System
Unit IV: Maintenance of the Human Body
- 19. The Cardiovascular System: The Blood
- 20. The Cardiovascular System: The Heart
- 21. The Cardiovascular System: Blood Vessels and Hemodynamics
- 22. The Lymphatic System, Nonspecific Resistance to Disease, and Immunity
- 23. The Respiratory System
- 24. The Digestive System
- 25. Metabolism
- 26. The Urinary System
- 27. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Homeostasis
Unit V: Continuity
- 28. The Reproductive Systems
- 29. Development and Inheritance