Comprehensive specialist manual covering the science and practice of functional appliance therapy * Integrates clinical and academic elements with emphasis on evidence-based research and its clinical application * Suitable for trainee and practicing orthodontists * Includes more than 600 photographs to enhance clarity of topics covered * Features contributions from top clinicians and researchers in the field
List of contributors
1. Biological Basis For Functional Appliance Therapy
2. Development of functional appliances
3. The role of genetics and environmental factors on the condyle in mandibular growthProf. Peter A. Mossey and Dr Colin Larmour
4. Functional Appliance Therapy: Indications and Case selection
5. Clinical use of the Twin Block Appliance
6. Rigid Fixed Functional Appliances
Dr Peter Miles
7. Flexible Fixed Functional Appliances
Dr Peter Miles
8. Transferring from functional to fixed appliances
9. The use of functional appliances in the correction of Class III malocclusion
10. Functional Appliances: A focused review of the clinical evidence
Padhraig Fleming is Senior Clinical Lecturer and Consultant Orthodontist at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, UK. He is an Associate Editor of the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics and the Journal of Dentistry and a co-author of Clinical Cases in Orthodontics(Wiley-Blackwell, 2012). Padhraig was awarded the Dewel Prize by the American Association of Orthodontists in 2011. He has been involved in numerous clinical trials investigating the relative merits of a range of orthodontic appliances and techniques.
Robert Lee is Honorary Professor and Consultant at Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, UK. Having founded the postgraduate training programme at The Royal London Hospital in 1983, Robert has been the Director of Specialist Training for Barts Health NHS Trust, Chairman of the Examiners in Orthodontics of The Royal College of Surgeons in England and Chairman of the Specialist Advisory Committee for Orthodontics. He has been undertaking clinical trials on functional appliances as his main research interest for more than 20 years.