Bridge the gap between knowledge and clinical application with DELMAR'S CASE STUDIES SERIES: MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING 2ND EDITION. This collection of twenty-two unique and provocative real-life scenarios emphasizes holistic nursing care as it helps sharpen critical thinking skills and strengthens clinical competence. Every case contains an introductory "blueprint" of variables that must be considered while evaluating a particular scenario--pertinent information concerning the client, nursing protocol, and setting of care. Each blueprint and case is different, just as each clinical situation is unique. As your students simulate the actual decision-making process, they'll gain valuable experience making informed clinical judgments. The accompanying answers and rationales for each case provide insight into excellent nursing practice and can be used for remediation and discussion.
· Reflecting real-world practice, the cases in Clinical Decision Making: Case Studies in Medical-Surgical Nursing, 2nd Edition help nursing students sharpen their critical thinking skills and gain hands-on experience applying what they have learned.
· Providing comprehensive coverage, twenty-two detailed case studies cover a wide range of topics.
· Case studies progress by difficulty level from easy to moderate to difficult, which can be identified by colored tabs.
· Written by nurses with modern clinical experience, these cutting-edge cases are relevant to the real-world challenges and pressures of practice--offering insight into the realities of today's profession.
· Cases include a wide assortment of variables related to client diversity, prioritization, and legal and ethical considerations.
· Each case contains in depth answers and rationales with references for self-assessment.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Cases by Topic.
Comprehensive Table of Variables.
Part I: THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM & THE BLOOD.
Case Study 1: Mr. Cowen.
Case Study 2: Mr. McCann.
Part II: THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM.
Case Study 1: Mr. Yang.
Case Study 2: Mrs. Harriet.
Part III: THE NERVOUS/NERUOLOGICAL SYSTEM.
Case Study 1: Derek.
Case Study 2: Mrs. Kahn.
Part IV: THE INTEGUMENTARY SYSTEM.
Case Study 1: Mr. Shannon.
Case Study 2: Ms. Champlin.
Part V: THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM.
Case Study 1: Mrs. Kenton.
Part VI: THE HEPATOBILIARY SYSTEM.
Cast Study 1: Mr. Escobar.
Part VII: THE URINARY SYSTEM.
Case Study 1: Mrs. Reese.
Case Study 2: Mr. Rossi.
Part VIII: THE ENDOCRINE/METABOLIC SYSTEM.
Case Study 1: Mrs. Duarte.
Case Study 2: Mr. Kiley.
Part IX: THE MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM.
Case Study 1: Mrs. DiCenzo.
Case Study 2: Mrs. Bagnell.
Case Study 3: Mr. Rodriquez.
Part X: THE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM.
Case Study 1: Ms. Swan.
Case Study 2: Mr. Benjamin.
Case Study 3: Ms. Dalton.
Part 11: CONCEPTS OF DISASTER PREPAREDNESS.
Case Study 1: Natural Disaster.
Case Study 2: Mr. Rocholl.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
· Cases are completely up to date, reflecting the latest practices in
· Two new case studies covering Disaster Preparedness are added.
· Cases have been reorganized to follow a "head to toe" approach, with each body system.
· Nursing diagnoses are updated to reflect the 2009-2011 NANDA Definitions & Classifications.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Gina Ankner, RN, MSN, ANP-BC, is senior nurse coordinator and program director for the Specialty Care in Pregnancy Program (SCIPP) in the Department of Medicine at Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode Island. The only program of its kind in the United States, SCIPP brings a multidisciplinary team together to consult on cases of women whose pregnancy, or plan for pregnancy, is complicated by a medical condition. She is also responsible for outreach and new program development for the Department of Medicine. Prior to her current position at Women & Infants Hospital, she taught medical-surgical nursing for ten years at the University Of Massachusetts Dartmouth College Of Nursing. Ankner earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in nursing from Boston College.