Orthopaedic surgeons require not only an understanding of anatomy and clinical sciences, and competence in surgical skills, but also a strong foundation in biomechanics. The application of biomechanics plays an increasing role in modern orthopaedics; for example, correct decisions about the mode of treatment and choice of implants are just as important as operating precisely to reach a specific anatomical landmark. This book simplifies the core principles in orthopaedic biomechanics, giving readers the solid grounding they need to flourish in the specialty. Each topic is covered in a discrete, double-page spread, featuring concise text accompanied by illustrations or tables to give readers a solid understanding of the concepts discussed. This is a must-read guide for orthopaedic trainees at every level, and will be valuable for biomechanical researchers and other professionals in the field.
- Covers all of the major biomechanical principles relevant in orthopaedics, giving readers a good appreciation of the breadth and depth of the topic
- Each concept is explained in a discrete double-page spread, allowing readers to easily refer to a particular principle where they require more information
- Highly illustrated throughout to ensure that the content is engaging and clear to readers of all levels of experience
Part I. Materials and Their Properties:
1. Introduction to orthopaedic biomechanics
2. Materials and their properties
Part II. Engineering Theory Applied to Orthopaedics:
3. Modes of loading of the musculoskeletal system
4. Biomechanics of fracture
Part III. Clinical Biomechanics:
6. Biomechanics of the hip and THR
7. Biomechanics of the knee and TKR
8. Biomechanics of the shoulder
9. Biomechanics of the elbow
10. Biomechanics of the spine
11. Biomechanics of the foot and ankle
12. Biomechanics of fracture fixation
13. Trauma meeting: case-based discussions
Shahbaz S. Malik, West Midlands NHS Deanery
Shahbaz S. Malik, MRCS, MSc is a Specialty Registrar in Orthopaedics in the West Midlands Deanery, UK.
Sheraz S. Malik, East Anglia NHS Deanery
Sheraz S. Malik, MRCS, MSc is an editorial board member of the Journal of Trauma and Treatment.