A key requirement of the primary and final FRCA examinations is a sound understanding of the basic sciences behind anaesthetic practice. It is important to be able to describe these principles clearly, particularly in the viva section of the examinations. Featuring several new topics, this fully updated new edition of this best-selling book provides all the important graphs, definitions and equations which may be covered in the examinations, together with clear and concise explanations of how to present them to the examiner and why they are important. Packed full of precise, clear diagrams with well structured explanations, and with all key definitions, derivations and statistics, this is an essential study aid for all FRCA examination candidates.
- Highly illustrated, with clear explanations of all the important graphs, definitions and equations
- Full derivations of important equations step-by-step derivations allow greater understanding of clinical relevance
- New diagrams have been added to illustrate key points
Forewords P. Hutton and Tom E. Peck
1. Mathematical principles
2. Physical principles
3. Principles of special equipment
4. Pharmacological principles
7. Respiratory physiology
8. Cardiovascular physiology
9. Renal physiology
11. Applied sciences
12. Statistical principles
About the Authors
Matthew Cross, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth
Matthew Cross is a Consultant Anaesthetist at the Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, UK.
Emma Plunkett, Birmingham School of Anaesthesia
Emma Plunkett is a Specialist Registrar in the Birmingham School of Anaesthesia, UK.
P. Hutton, Tom E. Peck