The BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Musculoskeletal Imaging is a brand new addition to the range of BSAVA Manuals and, together with its forthcoming sister manuals on Thoracic and Abdominal Imaging, builds on the classic BSAVA Manual of Small Animal Diagnostic Imaging.
The manual is extremely practical to use, being structured along anatomical lines, with chapters considering individual joints, the long bones, the skull and the spine. In addition general chapters on soft tissues, bones and joints cover topics common to all regions of the musculoskeletal system. Each chapter is structured in the same way, allowing rapid familiarization and information retrieval:
* Radiographic technique.
* Normal anatomy.
* Contrast studies.
* Alternative imaging techniques.
* Abnormal radiological findings.
Radiology is the mainstay of musculoskeletal imaging but in recent years advanced imaging modalities, such as CT, MRI and ultrasonography, have become increasingly used in practice. Although the Manual is not designed to cover these aspects in-depth, the indications for use if these alternative imaging techniques are covered and appropriate examples given.
The Manual is illustrated throughout - the concept of clear line diagrams has been retained from the BSAVA Manual of Small Animal Diagnostic Imaging, but a wide range of radiographs have been added to complement the text. The chapters have been written by a panel of internationally renowned authors, both specialist imagers and orthopaedic surgeons. The Manual therefore is not only designed for the veterinary undergraduate or general practitioner, either with or without a special interest in diagnostic imaging, but also for the orthopaedic surgeon as well as the specialist radiologist.
Table of contents
List of Contributors.
1. Soft Tissue (Frances Barr).
2. Bones - General (Robert M. Kirberger).
3. Long Bones - Juvenile (Frances Barr).
4. Long Bones - Mature (Hester McAllister and Emma Tobin).
5. Long Bones - Fractures (Steven J. Butterworth).
6. Joints - General (Graeme Allan and Robert Nicoll).
7. The Shoulder Joint and Scapula (Henri van Bree and Ingrid Gielen).
8. The Elbow Joint (Robert M. Kirberger).
9. The Hip Joint and Pelvis (Darryl N. Biery).
10. The Stifle Joint (Eithne J. Comerford).
11. Distal Limbs - Carpus and Tarsus (Graeme Allan and Robert Nicoll).
12. Skull - General (Ruth Dennis).
13. Skull - Nasal Chambers and Frontal Sinuses (Christopher R. Lamb).
14. Skull - Teeth (Gerhard Steenkamp).
15. Spine - General (Robert M. Kirberger).
16. Spine - Conditions Not Related to Intervertebral Disc Disease (Fintan J. McEvoy).
17. Spine - Intervertebral Disc Disease and 'Wobbler Syndrome' (Jeremy V. Davies).
18. Spine - Lumbosacral Region and Cauda Equina Syndrome (Johann Lang).