This brand new Manual focuses on soft tissue surgery of the head, neck and thorax. Together with its companion volume, the BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Abdominal Surgery, it highlights for the veterinary surgeon in general practice the most commonly performed techniques. Procedures that are undertaken by those surgeons with more experience are also discussed so that practitioners can better inform their clients as to clinical options.
The Manual begins with a consideration of general patient assessment and stabilization, anaesthesia and analgesia, and postoperative care for surgical conditions of the head, neck and thorax. An illustrated description of surgical instruments and materials follows.
Chapters on different organs/systems consider relevant anatomy, clinical signs and diagnostics, and medical treatment in addition to surgical techniques. Emergency management of respiratory distress is described, including instructions on how to perform an emergency tracheostomy. Surgical approaches to the thoracic wall and drainage of the thoracic cavity are described in detail and illustrated.
Step-by-step Operative Techniques detail the common procedures in an easy-to-follow practical way, with notes on patient positioning and preparation, instrumentation and postoperative care. Full-colour photographs and specially commissioned drawings illustrate both the Operative Techniques and the accompanying text.
Surgical diseases of the head, neck and thorax are considered a challenge by many surgeons. This Manual, written by an international panel of authors, serves to demystify common techniques and provide a firm foundation for further development of surgical skills.
Table of contents
List of Contributors.
1. Principles Of Head, Neck And Thoracic Surgery (Stephen J. Baines and Gina
2. Surgical Materials And Instrumentation (Vicky Lipscomb and Alexander M. Reiter).
3. The Oral Cavity And Oropharynx (Alexander M. Reiter and Mark M. Smith).
4. The Nose and Nasopharynx (Chad Schmiedt, Nichole Danova, Dale Bjorling, Daniel J. Brockman and David E. Holt).
5. The Ear (Karen M. Tobias and Dan Morris).
6. Emergency Management of Respiratory Distress (Daniel Holden and Kenneth Drobatz).
7. Brachycephalic Airway Disease (Dottie Brown and Sue Gregory).
8. The Larynx (Richard A.S. White and Eric Monnet).
9. The Extrathoracic Trachea (Caroline Prymak and Chick Weisse).
10. The Oesophagus (Andrew E. Kyles).
11. The Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands (Davina Anderson).
12. Thorarcic Wall Anatomy and Surgical Approaches (Geraldine B. Hunt).
13. The Pleural Cavity and its Drainage (Vicky Lipscomb, Lori S. Waddell and David E. Holt).
14. The Intrathoracic Trachea and Mainstream Bronchi (Carolyn Burton and Eric Monnet).
15. The Lung (Nicholas J. Trout and David A. Puerto).
16. The Heart (Including Pericardium) and Great Vessels (Geraldine B. Hunt).
17. The Mediastinum (Arthur K. House and Daniel J. Brockman).
18. The Diaphragm (Stephen J. Baines).
Appendix. Conversion Tables.