This award-winning clinical text covers the vast array of conditions that oral and maxillofacial surgeons need to be prepared to identify and treat, ranging from common reactive disorders to carcinoma to rare salivary gland neoplasms to malignancies of bone. In addition to its clinical presentation, each disease entity includes its pathogenesis, differential diagnosis, diagnostic work-up, histopathology, treatment, and prognosis, offering the reader the complete context necessary for understanding and managing it. This updated two-volume edition includes several new disease entities, the latest information on recognizing and treating previously described conditions, and new clinical images and cases that better portray the clinical presentation and/or treatment of specific diseases. Significant additions include the section on bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis of the jaws (BIONJ), which includes over 50 new images and outlines the complete staging and treatment for both oral and intravenous BIONJ, and the incorporation of new reconstructive techniques using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein, stem cell concentrates, and tissue-engineering principles where appropriate. An essential reference for any oral and maxillofacial surgeon or resident.
- Biopsy Principles and Techniques
- Inflammatory and Reactive Diseases of the Oral and Maxillofacial Region
- Infectious Diseases of the Oral and Maxillofacial Region
- Immune-Based Diseases
- Conditions of Developmental Disturbance
- Hyperplasias, Hamartomas, and Neoplasms: Their Biology and Its Impact on Treatment Decisions
- Benign Epithelial Tumors of Mucosa and Skin
- Premalignant and Malignant Epithelial Tumors of Mucosa and Skin
- Management of Irradiated Patients and Osteoradionecrosis
- Benign Soft Tissue Tumors of Mesenchymal Origin
- Malignant Soft Tissue Tumors of Mesenchymal Origin
- Non-neoplastic Salivary Gland Diseases
- Salivary Gland Neoplasms
- Odontogenic and Nonodontogenic Cysts
- Odontogenic Tumors
- Pigmented Lesions of Mucosa and Skin
- Fibro-osseous Diseases and Systemic Diseases Affecting Bone
- Benign Neoplasms of Bone
- Malignant Neoplasms of Bone
- Neoplasms of the Immune System: Lymphomas, Leukemias, Multiple Myelomas, and Langerhans Cell Histiocytoses
- Where Have All the Great Terms Gone?
- The Names We Associate with Diseases, Syndromes, and Anatomy: Who Were They?