The Clinical Nurse Specialist Toolkit serves as a one-stop, all-inclusive guide designed for novice Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNSs) just getting started in this exciting new career. Organized in an easy-to-use, bullet-point format, this book contains 6 key sections:
- Getting Started presents valuable information on negotiating and securing a job, with tips for interviews and the application process
- Moving Forward provides advice on establishing credibility in the field, prioritizing, and finding a mentor
- Gaining Momentum contains guidelines on mentoring staff, leading groups, and precepting students
- Evaluation sets forth critical information on how to document and measure clinical outcomes
- Reaching Out describes how to network with professional organizations and community agencies
- Professional Recognition provides practical guidance on applying for reimbursement and pursuing certification and licensure
With numerous clinical examples, case scenarios, and personal anecdotes culled from the contributors' own professional experiences, this toolkit serves as an insightful, authoritative resource for all CNS students and practitioners. Seasoned CNSs looking to expand their knowledge of the field will also want to add this book to their collection.
Table of Contents
- Ch. 1 Negotiating a Job Christine Schulman Schulman, Christine
- Ch. 2 Creating a Job Description Kathleen M. Vollman Vollman, Kathleen M. Denise O'Brien O'Brien, Denise Cathy Lewis Lewis, Cathy
- Ch. 3 Finding a Place in the Organization
- Ch. 4 Working With "The Boss" Boss"
- Ch. 5 Learning the Ropes: Orientation Ruthann B. Zafian Zafian, Ruthann B.
- Ch. 6 Establishing Credibility Ruth Van Gerpen Van Gerpen, Ruth
- Ch. 7 Prioritizing: Avoiding Overcommitment and Underachievement Katie Brush Brush, Katie
- Ch. 8 Finding a Mentor Vivian Donahue Donahue, Vivian
- Ch. 9 Using the Web: Guide to Web-Based Resources Susan K. B. Jones Jones, Susan K. B.
- Ch. 10 Leading Groups Melissa A. Lowder Lowder, Melissa A.
- Ch. 11 Mentoring Staff Patricia A. Foster Foster, Patricia A.
- Ch. 12 Precepting Students Ginger S. Pierson Pierson, Ginger S.
- Ch. 13 Documenting Clinical Outcomes Deborah G. Klein Klein, Deborah G.
- Ch. 14 Communicating Results: Who Needs to Know What Kathy Wright Wright, Kathy
- Ch. 15 Becoming Involved With Professional Organizations Mary Fran Tracy Tracy, Mary Fran Patrick Schultz Schultz, Patrick
- Ch. 16 Reaching Out to Community Agencies Sharon D. Horner Horner, Sharon D.
- Ch. 17 Networking Mary A. Stahl Stahl, Mary A.
- Ch. 18 Obtaining Certification: Considering the Options Melanie Duffy Duffy, Melanie
- Ch. 19 Navigating the Privileging and Credentialing Process Susan Sendelbach Sendelbach, Susan
- Ch. 20 Qualifying for Reimbursement Susan Dresser Dresser, Susan
- Ch. 21 Secrets for a Joyful Life as a CNS Janet S. Fulton Fulton, Janet S.