Praise for the Previous Edition:
"...represents an act of passion for the profession....The work's value comes from its integration of scientific, creative, and spiritual philosophies as a core context for the complex nurse-patient interaction involved in the promotion of a healing environment....Recommended." —Choice
At the center of professional nursing lies the "authentic presence" of the nurse -- the intention and commitment that brings us to the profession, and unfolds as we develop as nurses. In this new edition, JoEllen Koerner explores the intersection of scientific, creative, and spiritual ways of knowing that inform and inspire this "healing presence" in caregiver and patient.
Revised, updated, and refocused, the book integrates traditional nursing practice with cutting-edge alternative and integrative medicine. The author expands our' awareness of Allopathic and alternative ways of healing as rooted in Native Healing practices. The book also explores new models for transpersonal caring through the lens of philosophy, spirituality, and complexity science. It is a profoundly important resource for nurse educators, students, and practitioners.
- Presents the Nursing Triad model: nurse as scientist, artist, and healing presence
- Examines the bioenergetic body-the "five bodies" that comprise our being and infuse our becoming
- Discusses the physiology and philosophy behind healing presence
- Analyzes the healing process between nurse and patient, from embracing suffering to transcending polarities and enhancing capacity
Table of Contents
Foreword: Reflections of a Nurse Healer
Preface: An Invitation
A HEALING STORY: EXPLORING THE LIVED EXPERIENCE
1. Nursing: A Sacred Work
2. A Healing Journey Between Two Cultures: An Experience of Wholeness
A HEALING PRESENCE: THE POWER OF ONE
3. Vibrant Health: The Energetics of Dynamic Balance
4. Healing Presence: The Path of Engagement
5. Quantum Healing: The Power of Integration
A HEALING PATH: WEAVING A PURPOSEFUL LIFE
6. Balanced Living: The Path of Becoming
7. Ways of Knowing: Expressions of the Soul
A HEALING FIELD: THE CONTEXT FOR NURSING PRACTICE
8. The Noetic Scientist: A Holistic World
9. The Creative Artist: Composing a Life
10. The Human Spirt: Unfolding Inner Potential
JoEllen Koerner, PhD, RN, FAAN, and CEO, NurseMetriX, is an author, editor, speaker, researcher, educator, and nurse executive leader of international renown. She is the Past President of the American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE) and 2005 recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from the AONE Institute for Patient Care Research & Education. With extensive executive level management and leadership experience in health care administration, education, regulation, and e-commerce, her initial career efforts focused on nursing education and service in corporate health systems. She then worked in virtual education with curriculum modeling and delivery at the intersection of the philosophy and practice of professional nursing.
As Founder and CEO of NurseMetriX, Dr. Koerner designed applications of corporate, scientific and information technology for web-based innovations in the nursing profession. Her international and voluntary work is focused on workforce development for underrepresented sectors of society.