Veterinary Echocardiography, Second Edition is a fully revised version of the
classic reference for ultrasound of the heart, covering two-dimensional, M-mode,
and Doppler examinations for both small and large animal domestic species. Written
by a leading authority in veterinary echocardiography, the book provides detailed
guidelines for obtaining and interpreting diagnostic echocardiograms in domestic
species. Now thoroughly updated to address advances in technology, including
better transducers, tissue harmonic imaging, better color flow mapping, and
color and spectral tissue Doppler imaging, this second edition provides an authoritative,
comprehensive resource for echocardiographers of all levels of experience.
The Second Edition has been restructured to be more user-friendly, with chapters on acquired and congenital heart diseases broken down into shorter disease-specific chapters. Key changes include the addition of normal tissue Doppler technique, as well as five new appendices, covering topics such as normal reference ranges and an exam checklist. Veterinary Echocardiography, Second Edition builds on the success of the previous edition to provide complete information on obtaining echocardiograms in veterinary medicine.
- Fully revised edition of the classic text in veterinary echocardiography, now thoroughly updated to address advances in technology
- Covers the technical aspects of obtaining two-dimensional, M-mode, and Doppler examinations in both small and large domestic species, with accompanying pictures to demonstrate these techniques
- Includes coverage of echocardiographic examination assessment and echocardiographic features of common cardiac diseases, including acquired valvular diseases, features of systemic and pulmonary hypertension, myopathies, pericardial effusion and cardiac masses, congenital shunts, and stenotic lesions
- Key points in the text regarding technique and diagnostic criteria are drawn out in text boxes and tables for easy and quick reference
- Offers detailed guidelines for using and interpreting diagnostic echocardiograms
- Provides a comprehensive reference and instruction manual for echocardiographers of all experience levels
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Physics of Ultrasound.
- Basic Physics of Sound Waves.
- Doppler Physics.
- Optimizing the Image.
Chapter 2: The Echocardiographic Exam.
- Transducer Selection.
- Patient Positioning.
- Normal Two-Dimensional Images and Technique.
- Normal M-mode Images and Technique.
- Normal Color Doppler Images and Technique.
- Normal Spectral Doppler Imaging and Technique.
- Normal Tissue Doppler Imaging and Technique.
- Normal Strain Rate Analysis.
Chapter 3 – Evaluation of Size, Function and Hemodynamics.
- Assessment and Measurement of Two-Dimensional Images.
- Assessment and Measurement of M-mode Images.
- Assessment of Spectral Doppler.
- Assessment of Color Flow Doppler.
- Evaluation of Structure and Function.
- Hemodynamic Information.
Chapter 4 – Acquired Valvular Disease.
- Mitral Valve Disease.
- Aortic Valve Disease.
- Tricuspid Valve Disease.
- Pulmonic Valve Disease.
Chapter 5 – Hypertensive Heart Disease.
- Systemic Hypertension.
- Pulmonary Hypertension.
Chapter 6 – Myocardial Diseases.
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy.
- Restrictive Cardiomyopathy.
- Miscellaneous Myocardial Diseases.
Chapter 7 – Pericardial Diseases, Effusions and Masses.
- Intracardiac Neoplasia.
- Extracardiac Neoplasia.
Chapter 8 – Congenital Stenotic Lesions.
- Aortic Stenosis.
- Pulmonic Stenosis and Double Chamber Right Ventricle.
- Atrioventricular Valve Stenosis and Dysplasia.
Chapter 9 – Congenital Shunts.
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus.
- Ventricular Septal Defect.
- Atrial Septal Defect.
- Endocardial Cushion Defect.
Chapter 10 – Miscellaneous Congenital Defects.
- Tricuspid Dysplasia.
- Tetralogy of Fallot.
- Cor Triatriatum.
- Pericardial Peritoneal Diaphragmatic Hernia.
- Truncus Arteriosus.
- Multiple Concurrent Defects.
Physics of Doppler.
Normal M-mode Reference Ranges.
Normal Two Dimensional Reference Ranges.
Normal Doppler Reference Ranges.
Normal Tissue Doppler Reference Ranges.
Echocardiographic Exam Check List.
June A. Boon, MS, is an Echocardiographer at Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.