Prepared under the auspices of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, this second edition has been thoroughly updated and revised to improve utility and readability. The book is now organized by vertebrate host species, with parasites presented phylogenetically within chapters. Additional highlights of this edition include introductory chapters on modern diagnostic techniques and parasite biology, and a new appendix features a complete drug formulary. The well-presented and extensively illustrated volume addresses all aspects of laboratory animal parasites. Regarded as the most comprehensive and authoritative work available on the topic, this book is an essential reference for veterinary parasitologists, clinicians, students and laboratory animal scientists.
Table of contents
- Preface to the Second Edition.
- List of Contributors.
- Chapter 1- Collection, Preservation, and Diagnostic Methods.
- Chapter 2- Biology of the Protozoa.
- Chapter 3- Biology of Trematodes and Leeches.
- Chapter 4- Biology of Cestodes.
- Chapter 5- Biology of Nematodes and Acanthocephalans.
- Chapter 6- Biology of Arthropods.
- Chapter 7- Parasites of Fish.
- Chapter 8- Parasites of Amphibians.
- Chapter 9- Parasites of Reptiles.
- Chapter 10- Parasites of Birds.
- Chapter 11- Parasites of Rats and Mice.
- Chapter 12- Parasites of Hamsters.
- Chapter 13- Parasites of Gerbils.
- Chapter 14- Parasites of Guinea Pigs.
- Chapter 15- Parasites of Rabbits.
- Chapter 16- Parasites of Ferrets.
- Chapter 17- Parasites of Dogs.
- Chapter 18- Parasites of Cats.
- Chapter 19- Parasites of Swine.
- Chapter 20- Parasites of Sheep and Goats.
- Chapter 21- Parasites of Non-human Primates.
- Appendix- Formulary.