- Presents the theories and practice of occupational therapy in community and population health
- Provides detailed guidance in program planning and needs assessment, program design and implementation, program evaluation, and program support.
- Features case studies describing the development of actual programs in the practice areas identified by AOTA.
- Describes a variety of settings where community-based practice occurs, including community-based work programs, adult day care, independent living programs, hospice, and home health care.
- Provides specific information regarding the role of personnel, referrals, evaluation, intervention, documentation, and reimbursement in these practice settings.
- Offers tools to make learning easier, including learning outcomes, key terms, case studies, learning activities, study questions, and a summary that is directly linked to learning outcomes in each chapter.
- Evaluates future directions and implications for professional education, research, and practice roles.
I. Basic Principles and Relevant Issues
- 1. Historical and Philosophical Perspectives
- 2. Population Health, Community Health, and Occupational Therapy
- 3. Theoretical Frameworks
- 4. Population Health: Cultural and Sociological Considerations
II. Community-Based and Population Health Program Development
- 5. Program Planning and Needs Assessment
- 6. Program Design and Implementation
- 7. Program Evaluation
- 8. Program Support: Innovation and Business Acumen
III. Children and Youth
- 9. Early Intervention Programs
- 10. From School to Community Transition Services
- 11. Promoting Community Inclusion and Integration
IV. Productive Aging
- 12. Aging in Place and Home Modifications
- 13. Low Vision Services in the Community
- 14. Driving and Community Mobility
V. Work and Industry
- 15. Ergonomics and Prevention of Work-Related Injuries
- 16. Work and Career Transitions
- 17. Health Professional Wellbeing
VI. Mental Health
- 18. Community Mental Health Programs
- 19. Community-Based Approaches to Substance Use Epidemics
- 20. Strategies to Address the Needs of Homeless Populations
VII. Rehabilitation and Participation
- 21. Military Families and Veterans Programming
- 22. Promoting Occupational Participation in Marginalized Populations
- 23. Telehealth
VIII. Health Promotion and Wellness
- 24. Lifestyle Redesign Programs
- 25. Occupational Therapy in Primary Health Care Settings
- 26. Disaster Planning, Response, and Recovery
- 27. Violence Prevention and Mitigation
IX. Looking Ahead
- 28. Future Directions in Community-Based and Population Health Practice