Recognized as two of the world's leading authorities on the subject, Susan Herdman and Richard Clendaniel, joined by a team of expert contributors, deliver the 4th Edition of the field's definitive text on the management of vestibular diseases and disorders. From assessment through therapy, they present the scientific and clinical knowledge you need to distinguish between vestibular and non-vestibular dizziness and to plan and implement the appropriate treatments.
· Comprehensive coverage from fundamental anatomy and physiology through
assessment and diagnosis to interventions.
· An emphasis on evidence-based practice.
· Case studies that illustrate the decision-making process.
· Suggestions for progressions of eye and balance exercises.
· Discussions of how to recognize what steps to take if the initial treatment does not appear to be beneficial.
· Consistent pedagogical structure to guide learning, including Chapter Summaries, ‘Summary of the Clinical Exam of the Dizzy Patient,’ and ‘Expected Test Results in Patients with UVL’.
New to this Edition
· REVISED & UPDATED! Thoroughly revised and updated throughout to
reflect the latest scientific and clinical knowledge.
· MORE! More case studies at the end of the chapters as well as the addition of questions for each case.
· NEW! All-new, full-color photographs that reflect the art and science of practice today.
· NEW! Coverage of ENG with examples of normal and abnormal.
Table of Contents
· Fundamentals of Function
1. Anatomy and Physiology of the Normal Vestibular System
2. Vestibular Adaptation
3. The Role of Vestibular System in Postural Control
· Fundamentals of Dysfunction
4. Vestibular System Disorders
5. Lesions Affecting Central Vestibular Pathways
6. Postural Abnormalities in Vestibular Disorders
7. Disability in Vestibular Disorders
8. Vestibular Compensation-Recovery after Unilateral Vestibular Loss
9. Compensatory Strategies in recovery for Vestibular Hypofunction
· Medical Assessment and Vestibular Function Tests
10. History and Clinical Examination
11. Vestibular Function Tests
12. Otolith Function Tests
13. Assessment and Management of Auditory Disorders
· Medical and Surgical Management
14. Pharmacological and Optical Methods to Treat Vestibular Disorders and Nystagmus
15. Medical Management of Migraine, Meniere’s and Motion Sensitivity
16. Medical Management of Mal de Débarquement Syndrome (MDDS)
17. Surgical Management of Vestibular Disorders
18. Management of Psychological Problems and the Dizzy Patient
19. Management of the Patient with Chronic Subjective Dizziness
· Rehabilitation Assessment and Management
20. Physical Therapy Management of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
21. Physical Therapy Assessment of Vestibular Hypofunction
22. Physical Therapy Treatment of Vestibular Hypofunction
23. Physical Therapy Management of Bilateral Vestibular Hypofunction and Loss
24. Physical Therapy Management of the Child with Vestibular Hypofunction
25. Physical Therapy Management of the Older Person with Vestibular Dysfunction
26. The Role of Emerging Technologies in Vestibular Rehabilitation