Apply the science of health and fitness psychology to your practice!
Learn how to apply the psychology of health and fitness to your exercise programs and to solve the motivational and behavioral problems you’ll encounter every day in practice. You’ll explore the scientific principles and variables that influence behavior as you develop the confidence to design effective lifestyle interventions for disease prevention and develop individualized exercise programs that promote optimal health.
- Reviews the current theories of health psychology and the science that underlie them.
- Explores today’s most common health problems as well as the lifestyle factors that influence their development, including exercise, nutrition, and stress management.
- Demonstrates the application of psychology to clinical practice to achieve better outcomes.
- Health Psychology Case Studies illustrate real-world problems related to each chapter.
- Health Psychology @ Work profiles allied health professionals and how they use health psychology in their careers…from motivational interviewing to building psychosocial capacity for survivors of disasters.
- Integrative Medicine discusses alternative or complementary medicine options.
- Health Psychology on Campus highlights the relevance of health psychology for college students, including the effect of sleep deprivation on learning and memory, and techniques for stress and coping.
- What’s the Evidence? Emphasizes the importance of evidence-based practice and how to use evidence to improve outcomes.
Table of Contents
· Body-Mind Basics
1. What is Health Psychology?
2. Psychophysiology: Systems for Body-Mind Integration
3. Stress and Health
· Health and Behavior
4. Physical Activity
5. Eating Behavior and Nutrition
· Behavior Change
7. Models of Behavior Change
8. Culture, Behavior, and Health
9. Behavior Change through the Life Span
· Health Psychology and Chronic Health Challenges
10. Partners in Health: Health Psychology and Helping Professionals
11. Pain, Chronic Illness, and Terminal Illness
12. Cardiovascular Disease, Metabolic Syndrome, and Type 2 Diabetes
13. Cancer and Immune System Disorders
14. Future Challenges for a Changing World