This concise guide delivers all the practical information you need to care
for children and their families in diverse settings. It clearly explains what
to say and what to do for a broad range of challenges you may encounter in clinical
You’ll examine the anatomy and physiology of body systems along with common childhood conditions and disease processes, including critical nursing assessments, signs and symptoms, treatment procedures, laboratory work-ups, medications, and other important aspects of care. Strategies for advocacy, effective communication techniques, identification of potentially life-threatening issues, and advice from experienced pediatric nurses guide you every step of the way.
The straightforward writing makes complex topics easy to understand. A spiral binding with thumb tabs and a full-color design with illustrations will make it your reference of choice.
· Growth and Development Guide on the inside front and back covers
makes quick referencing easy.
· Pedogogical tools help ensure the best-evidence-based practices, including…
· “Alerts” that focus attention on potentially life-threatening issues and describe the appropriate interventions.
· “Why is this Important,” rationales for important topics.
· “Patient Education,” tips for helping patients and their caregivers to understand their health status.
· “Offering Support,” models of verbatim nurse-patient interactions that offer compassionate care advice and strategies for effective communication
· “Evidence for Best Practices” boxes highlighting research that support nursing practices, processes, and principles.
· “Best Practices,” sage advice from experienced practitioners.
· Common mnemonics, tricks to help you remember what to do and when.
Table of Contents
· Growth and Development in Children
· Child in the Hospital and in the Community
· Health Assessment in Children
· Nursing Care of Children
· Communicable and Immunologic Conditions in Children
· Respiratory Conditions in Children
· Gastrointestinal and Hepatic Conditions in Children
· Integumentary Conditions in Children
· Musculoskeletal Conditions in Children
· Behavioral and Developmental Conditions in Children
· Reproductive and Genitourinary Conditions in Children
· Endocrine or Metabolic Conditions in Children
· Hematological Conditions in Children
· Neurological, Neuromuscular or Sensory Conditions in Children
· Cardiac Conditions in Children
· Cancerous Conditions in Children