The 2nd Edition of this best-selling laboratory manual continues to provide
the hands-on practice students need to integrate theory and clinical practice.
Step-by-step instructions, with detailed diagrams and illustrations, show students
how to perform each procedure. 86 procedural competency evaluation forms enable
students to assess their progress and instructors to measure student performance.
The 2nd Edition reflects the latest technologies and standards of care.
- 6 new chapters—Communication and Cultural Diversity in Health Care • Phlebotomy • IV Insertion and Maintenance • Chest Tube Drainage Systems • Bronchoscopy Assisting • and Respiratory Care in Alternate Settings.
- Up-to-date coverage of current technology, equipment, and CPGS, CPR, and CDC guidelines and recommendations.
- 86 Procedural Competency Evaluation forms in the book and on DavisPlus.
- 46 lab exercises.
- Pedagogical tools guide learning step by step through each chapter and include learning objectives • key terms • a list of required equipment • step-by-step instructions to perform the laboratory and troubleshooting exercises • related readings • and Procedural Competency Evaluation Forms for preclinical and clinical application.
- Exercises, including case studies, promote critical thinking.
- Equipment discussions are generic, not brand-specific.
- Coverage addresses home and alternative site care well as newborn, infant, and pediatric patients.
- More than 270 figures illustrate the instructions, step by step.
Table of Contents
1. Laboratory and Clinical Safety
2. Communication and Cultural Diversity in Health Care
3. Infection Control
4. Sterilization and Disinfection
5. Medical Record
6. Patient Assessment: Basic Skills Vital Signs
7. Patient Assessment: Advanced Skills
8. Bedside Assessment of Pulmonary Mechanics
9. Oxygen Supply Systems
10. Oxygen Analysis
11. Oxygen Therapy Administration
12. Humidity Devices
13. Aerosol Generators
14. Cardiopulmonary Pharmacology Review
15. Aerosol and Medication Therapy
16. Hyperinflation Therapy Techniques
17. Bronchial Hygiene: Chest Physiotherapy
18. Adjunct Techniques for Bronchial Hygiene
19. Manual Resuscitators and Manual Ventilation
20. Pharyngeal Airways
22. Endotracheal Intubation
23. Tracheostomy Care
24. Artificial Airway Care and Maintenance
25. Noninvasive Blood Gas Monitoring
26. Arterial Blood Gas Sampling
27. Arterial Blood Gas Analysis and Maintenance
28. Blood Gas Interpretation and Calculations
30. Intravenous Insertion and Maintenance
31. Pulmonary Function Testing
32. Chest Tube Drainage Systems
33. Basic Chest X Ray Interpretation
34. Bronchoscopy Assisting
36. Hemodynamic Monitoring
37. Noninvasive Ventilation
38. Pressure Ventilators
39. Continuous Mechanical Ventilation
40. Ventilator Modes
41. Ventilator Initiation
42. Patient Ventilator System Care and Maintenance
43. Discontinuation of Mechanical Ventilation
44. Neonatal/Pediatric Respiratory Care
45. Neonatal/Pediatric Ventilation
46. Respiratory Care in Alternate Settings
A. Equipment Resources
B. Interactive Aids
C. Procedural Competency Evaluations
By Thomas J. Butler, Ph.D, RRT, RPFT, SUNY Rockland Community College, Suffern, New York; Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation, West Orange, New Jersey.