Written at a graduate level, the Second Edition of ACSM’s Advanced Exercise Physiology enables experienced students to develop an in-depth understanding of exercise physiology along with its related topics and applications. Both the immediate and long-term effects of exercise on individual body systems are described in detail, and the text emphasizes how each body system’s physiological response to exercise is interdependent. Moreover, it examines how these physiological responses are affected by heat, cold, hypoxia, microgravity, rest, and hyperbaria.
This Second Edition features a team of international authors and editors whose expertise spans general physiology, exercise physiology, and research. Together, they have substantially revised, updated, and reorganized the text to incorporate feedback from both instructors and students.
- Revised organization so each chapter is presented in similar manner making information flow more comprehensibly for students.
- Cross-references between items that involve concepts and facts pertinent to more than one chapter.
- Key Point boxes are mini summaries/lists of key points after various major sections within the chapters.
- Section Summaries provide brief synopses of key sections
- Test Your Understanding checkpoints provide questions throughout the chapters to make students stop and think critically about material they’re reading to enhance and ensure understanding
Table of Contents
- Historical Perspective
- The Nervous System and Movement
- The Skeletal-Articular System
- The Muscular System: Structural and Functional Plasticity
- The Muscular System: The Control of Muscle Mass
- The Muscular System: Fatigue Process
- The Autonomic Nervous System
- The Respiratory System
- The Cardiovasular System: Design and Control
- The Cardiovascular System: Cardiac Function
- Organization and Control of Circulation to Skeletal Muscle
- The Gastrointestinal System
- The Metabolic Systems: Control of ATP Synthesis in Skeletal Muscle
- The Metabolic Systems: Carbohydrate Metabolism
- The Metabolic Systems: Lipid Metabolism
- Interaction of Lipid and Carbohydrate Metabolism
- The Metabolic Systems: Protein and Amino Acid Metabolism in Muscle
- Mitochondrial Biogenesis Induced by Endurance Training
- The Endocrine System: Integrated Influences on Metabolism, Growth, and Reproduction
- Exercise and the Immune System
- The Body Fluid and Hemopoietic Systems
- The Renal System
- Physiological Systems and Their Responses to Conditions of Heat and Cold
- Physiological Systems and Their Responses to Conditions of Hypoxia
- Physiological Systems and Their Responses to Conditions of Hyperbaria
- Physiological Systems and Their Responses to Condition of Microgravity and Bed Rest
- Exercise Genomics and Proteomics
Peter A Farrell PhD, FACSM Department of Kinesiology, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC
Michael J Joyner MD, FACSM Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Vincent J Caiozzo PhD, FACSM Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and Physiology and Biophysics, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA