Fun, safety, and effective instruction are the focus of the fourth edition of Coaching Youth Volleyball, helping you create an environment that promotes learning, cultivates a love of the game, and motivates your athletes to come out year after year.
Numerous coaching books present the skills and drills of volleyball. But here’s a book that teaches you how to convey those skills to your athletes in an engaging and positive manner. Coaching Youth Volleyball’s focus on teaching volleyball skills through gamelike drills sets it apart from the current lineup of volleyball coaching books. And it’s the only one recommended by and written with the expertise of USA Volleyball’s Coaching Education Department.
Ideal for coaches of players aged 14 and under, the fourth edition includes 18 drills and 32 coaching tips that are sure to jump-start your practices. This new edition also adds
- two new chapters on coaching individual volleyball skills and coaching the transitions and alignments of the game;
- important age-group modifications regarding ball size, net height, player positions, and court dimensions for three age groups (6– to 9-year-olds, 10– to 11-year-olds, and 12– to 14-year-olds) and for team play in 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, or 6v6 competition;
- court diagrams to help you quickly and accurately construct your own age-appropriate court, and
- a clear explanation of rules and procedures, including the capabilities and limits of the new libero position.
Coaching Youth Volleyball’s combination of volleyball fundamentals and essential coaching skills—such as communicating with parents and officials, motivating players, and preparing for games and practices—makes this book a must-read as you prepare to meet the challenges and enjoy the rewards of coaching young athletes.
- Chapter 1 Stepping Into Coaching
- Chapter 2 Communicating as a Coach
- Chapter 3 Understanding Rules and Equipment
- Chapter 4 Providing for Players’ Safety
- Chapter 5 Making Practices Fun and Practical
- Chapter 6 Teaching and Shaping Skills
- Chapter 7 Coaching Individual Volleyball Skills
- Chapter 8 Coaching Transition and Alignment
- Chapter 9 Coaching on Game Day
- Chapter 10 Developing Season and Practice Plans
- Appendix A: Related Checklists and Forms
- Appendix B: Volleyball Terms
- Appendix C: 12 Gamelike Drills
The fourth edition of Coaching Youth Volleyball is recommended by USA Volleyball and was written by the American Sport Education Program (ASEP) with volleyball expertise provided by Diana Cole, director of coaching education programs for USA Volleyball, and John Kessel, director of membership development and disabled programs. USA Volleyball's Coaching Accreditation Program (CAP) accepts ASEP's Coaching Youth Volleyball online course as a CAP module equivalent for certification purposes.
USA Volleyball is the national governing body for the sport of volleyball in the United States and is recognized by the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC). Its membership includes more than 200,000 players, coaches, officials, and parents.
ASEP has been developing and delivering coaching education courses since 1981. As the nation's leading coaching education program, ASEP works with national, state, and local sport organizations to develop educational programs for coaches, officials, administrators, and parents. These programs incorporate ASEP's philosophy of “Athletes first, winning second.”