By Dental Assistants Association of Australia
The Dental Assistants Manual, 4th edition is a reference manual catering for all aspects of dental assisting. It supports and is aligned to important Australian government standards including, the National Competency Standards part of the recently endorsed Health Training Package; NHMRC Guidelines for Infection Control; Occupational Health & Safety Standards put down by Worksafe Australia and Australian/New Zealand Standards 4815 'Office base health care facilities not involved in Complex Patient Procedures & Processes'. Adherence to these standards ensures that the Dental Assistants Manual is not only a valuable reference for students, it can be also be used right across Australia and New Zealand as a reference tool in any dental surgeries, clinics or laboratories.
The Dental Assistants Manual is intended to provide the required knowledge for achieving the newly endorsed National Competency Standards for the Certificate III in Dental Assisting endorsed by ANTA (Australian National Training Authority) in January 2002 which forms the basis for further study in Certificate IV courses in areas such as Dental Technology, Dental Health Education, Dental Assisting - Radiology and Dental Technician. It provides step-by-step instructions on how to carry out certain practical components and requirements of the competencies. No other reference tool in Australia or New Zealand addresses any of the implications of these standards for dental assistants in the workplace.
Addresses the National Competency Standards in the recently endorsed National
• Contains most recent NHMRC guidelines for Infection Control.
• Includes latest Occupational Health &Safety Standards put down by Worksafe Australia.
• Covers ANZ standards 4815 “Office based health care facilities not involved in Complex Patient Procedures & Process – Cleaning, Disinfection & Sterilising Reusable Medical & Surgical Instruments, Equipment and Maintenance of the Associated Environment
- SECTION 1: INTRODUCTION TO DENTAL ASSISTING 1. The dental health team 2. Ethics & jurisprudence 3. Psychology for dental assistants 4. Communication 5. Reception duties 6. Account keeping & financial duties
- SECTION 2: HUMAN BIOLOGY 7. Body systems 8. Anatomy & physiology of the head & neck 9. Dental anatomy 10. Microbiology 11. Pathology 12. Oral pathology 13. Dental pathology
- SECTION 3: CLINICAL DENTISTRY 14. Infection control 15. Occupational health & safety 16. Surgery equipment and its maintenance 17. Patient management and clinical assistance 18. Oral examination, diagnosis and treatment planning 19. Commonly used instruments and accessories 20. Pain control in dentistry/ Anaesthesia and sedation 21. Dental radiography 22. First aid & emergencies SECTION 4: RESTORATIVE DENTISTRY 23. Restorative materials 24. Restorations 25. Fixed prosthodontics 26. Implants
- SECTION 5: PREVENTATIVE DENTISTRY 27. Preventative dentistry & oral health education 28. Diet & nutrition
- SECTION 6: SPECIALIST AREAS OF DENTISTRY 29. Medically compromised patients 30. Removable prosthodontics 31. Periodontics 32. Oral surgery 33. Endodontics 34. Orthodontics 35. Paedodontics 36. Dentistry for the ageing 37. Forensic odontology
- SECTION 7: EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES 38. Employment opportunities