The provision of high-quality treatment with good aesthetic outcomes and shorter treatment times are important goals for all practising orthodontists.
To facilitate these objectives, the availability of aesthetic appliances with low friction levels together with the introduction of orthodontic mini-screws have allowed faster and more efficient treatment with reduced side effects. The use of contemporary aesthetic appliances and mini-screws also negates the problems seen regarding patient compliance - which can be particularly problematic with adolescents and adults who are reluctant to use head-gear and traditional intra-oral devices.
Authored by experts of international renown, Contemporary Orthodontics: Self-Ligating Appliances, Mini-Screws and Second Molars Extraction addresses these issues and is lavishly illustrated to clearly describe the diagnosis and treatment planning of Class II and III malocclusion and the use of second molar extraction. The book particularly explores the use of the Clarity„¢ Self-Ligating appliance, a device which contains all of the essential features of SmartClip„¢ but which - by possessing improved aesthetic properties - also demonstrates greater patient acceptability and hence improvement in compliance.
Contemporary Orthodontics: Self-Ligating Appliances, Mini-Screws and Second Molars Extraction is ideal for practicing orthodontists both qualified and in training.
- Authored by experts of international renown
- Lavish use of colour photography and artwork helps explain new concepts clearly
- Demonstrates the effective use of the Clarity™ Self-Ligating appliance, a device which contains all of the essential features of SmartClip™ but which also demonstrates greater patient acceptability and hence improvement in compliance
- Explains treatment options that show more predictable outcomes, good performance sliding biomechanics, the application of low force levels and reduced treatment times
- Ideal for orthodontists worldwide - whether qualified or in training
Table of Contents
1. Low Friction Aesthetic Brackets - Clarity™ SL Self-Ligating Appliance
- Characteristics of the Appliance
- Prescription of the Clarity™ SL Self-Ligating Appliance System
- Sliding Biomechanics with the Clarity™ SL Self-Ligating Appliance
- Clarity™ SL Self-Ligating Bracket Removal
2. Mini-screws and Biomechanics in Orthodontics
- SmartClip™ Self-Ligating Appliances and orthodontic mini-screws
- Surgical protocol for insertion of mini-screws
- Planning the set-up of the orthodontic appliance for the insertion of mini-screws
- Mini-screws as an anchorage system in orthodontic biomechanic treatment mechanics with bicuspid extractions
- Class II treatment with molar distalization using mini-screws
- Intrusion of teeth using mini-screws
- Mesialization and uprighting of molars using mini-screws
3. Second molar extractions
- Development of Second Molars and Third Molars
- Why should second molars be extracted?
- When should second molars be extracted?
- Characteristics of patients who undergo second molar extractions
- Management of the distalizing mechanics
- Eruption of third molars after second molars extraction
By Hugo Trevisi, DDS, Orthodontist, Presidente Prudente, Brazil and Reginaldo C. Trevisi Zanelato, Orthodontist, Presidente Prudente, Brazil