This handbook covers the diagnosis, etiology, and treatment of conditions affecting the locomotor system in small animals. The 4th edition presents up-to-date information on various types of fractures and methods of fixation, lameness and joint surgery, and musculoskeletal diseases. Other key topics include: acute and chronic bone infections; transplantation, plating, wiring, and pinning techniques; bone grafting; reconstructive joint surgery; and osteochondrosis.
Twenty-three years have passed since publication of the first edition of this book and the fourth edition takes advantage of considerable worldwide experience in this field. Many veterinary surgeons already know this comprehensive textbook and have had an opportunity to appreciate its usefulness in daily practice when managing all types of orthopaedic problems.
The format of the book is the usual one, as in the previous editions, with a first part dealing with the basic principles of the diagnosis and treatment of fractures, lameness and joint diseases, including fracture classification and all types of implants and systems of fixation. The second part describes the treatment of fractures and orthopaedic conditions of the fore- limb, while the third part considers the hind limb. The fourth part describes the approach to other fractures and to reconstruction of bone deformity, whilst the fifth part deals with miscellaneous conditions of the musculoskeletal system. This edition is considerably enriched by the excellent artwork of F. Dennis Giddings, the artist who first become famous with the milestone book for all orthopaedic surgeons, Piermattei's Atlas of Surgical Approaches to the bones and joints of the dog and cat.
The approach to each musculoskeletal condition is very comprehensive, following the original philosophy of Wade Brinker, taking care in the description of the pathology, the diagnostic work-up, surgical indications and planning, surgical approach, surgical techniques, complications and follow-up. For this reason this textbook is very useful to all veterinary surgeons when approaching veterinary orthopaedic and traumatology problems and willing to find the technical solution to any musculoskeletal case they may find in their daily practice.
For more experienced surgeons, already used to consult the previous editions, this fourth one will update their knowledge on the most recent diagnostic approaches, such as arthroscopy and the recently developed new techniques such as TPLO, guiding the reader in the choice of new solutions for several orthopaedic conditions. The addition of a new Author, Charles De Champ, is a guarantee for the continuous update of this textbook.
Aldo Vezzoni, (I) Med. Vet., SCMPA, Dipl. ECVS
FECAVA Vol. 16-2 October 2006
- Content is organized anatomically for quick access to information on both fractures and other conditions for each region of the body.
- Step-by-step line drawings clearly illustrate different types of fractures and procedures.
- Provides clear, concise coverage of the most common orthopedic conditions.
New to this Edition
- A new chapter provides cutting edge information on arthroscopy.
- Each chapter is expanded with the most up-to-date information.
- Includes many additional illustrations.
- New coverage of monocortical plate/IM fixation.
- Discusses circular frames for fractures and osteotomies
- Provides information on new fixator clamps.
Table of Contents
Part I — General Principles of Diagnosis and Treatment of Fractures, Lameness, and Joint Disease
1. Orthopedic Examination and Diagnostic Tools
2. Fractures: Classification, Diagnosis, and Treatment
3. Bone Grafting
4. Delayed Union and Nonunion
5. Treatment of Acute and Chronic Bone Infections
7. Principles of Joint Surgery
Part II — Fractures and Orthopedic Conditions
9. Fractures of the Scapula
10. The Shoulder Joint
11. Fractures of the Humerus
12. The Elbow Joint
13. Fractures of the Radius and Ulna
14. Fractures and Other Orthopedic Conditions of the Carpus, Metacarpus, and Phalanges
Part III — Fractures and Orthopedic Conditions of the Hindlimb
15. Fractures of the Pelvis
16. The Hip Joint
17. Fractures of the Femur and Patella
18. The Stifle Joint
19. Fractures of the Tibia and Fibula
20. Fractures and Other Orthopedic Injuries of the Tarsus, Metatarsus, and Phalanges
Part IV — Other Fractures and Reconstruction of Bone Deformity
21. Fractures and Luxations of the Mandible and Maxilla
22. Fractures in Growing Animals
23. Correction of Abnormal Bone Growth and Healing
Part V — Miscellaneous Conditions of the Musculoskeletal System
24. Disease Conditions in Small Animals
By Donald L. Piermattei, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Professor Emeritus, Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO; Gretchen L. Flo, DMV, MS, Associate Professor, Department of Small Animal Medical & Surgical, Michigan State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, East Lansing, MI; and Charles E. DeCamp, DVM, Michigan State University, Veterinary Medical Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, East Lansing, Michigan