PART 1: GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY
PART 2: BASIC IMMUNOLOGY
PART 3: MICROBES OF RELEVANCE TO DENTISTRY
PART 4: INFECTIONS OF RELEVANCE TO DENTISTRY
PART 5: ORAL MICROBIOLOGY
PART 6: CROSS INFECTION AND CONTROL
The fifth edition of the highly successful Essential Microbiology for Dentistry, now translated into several languages, continues to offer readers everything they require to gain a full understanding of microbiology as it relates to modern dental practice.
Clearly written and in full colour throughout, the book uniquely divides the field into discrete sections to allow readers to digest and then apply the various aspects of microbiology for dentistry in a straightforward, easy-to-understand manner.
The first part of the book covers the principles of general microbiology and is followed by a clear and straightforward account of basic immunology. The volume then addresses mechanisms of disease, concentrating clearly on the micro-organisms that are relevant to the dentist and the dental team. The major infections of each organ system are discussed as they relate to dental practice together with a detailed exploration of the oral microbiome and the constituent microbiota. The book finally concludes with an expanded section on current cross-infection control guidelines.
The rich combination of easy-to-read text together with the extensive array of tables and illustrations continues to make Essential Microbiology for Dentistry the first choice of microbiology textbook for many students of dentistry worldwide.
Essential Microbiology for Dentistry now comes with a helpful Online Resource containing a wide range of MCQS to help students monitor their progress.
- Friendly, accessible writing style helps readers engage with key information
- Helpful self-assessment - in the style of both dental school and RCS exams -enables students to monitor their progress
- Evidenced-based throughout to help facilitate safe clinical practice
- Ample use of artwork helps explain complex structures, physiological processes and the effect of drug intervention
- Helpful use of italics for clinically relevant facts and emboldened key words to highlight important information
- Presents the latest national and international guidelines
- 'Key Fact' boxes at the end of each chapter help summarize core information
- Contains a comprehensive glossary and abbreviations list
New to this Edition
- Expanded to meet the higher-level of understanding and application of knowledge required of students today
- Provides a fuller discussion of the oral microbiome and the microbiota ; new microbial identification technology; antibiotic steweardship;, ; endodontic infections; implant-related infections; plaque biofilms and the systemic disease axis and the current guidelines on antimicrobial prophylaxis
- Contains new photographic images - many previously unpublished
- Provides enhanced discussions of newer molecular based methods of diagnosis
- Explores the latest research in dental plaque biofilm functionality and metabolism, and the mechanisms of enhanced resistance caused by biofilms
- Now comes with a helpful ONLINE RESOURCE containing a wide range of MCQS to help students monitor their progress!
By Lakshman Samaranayake, DSc (hc) DDS (Glas) FRCPath FDSRCS(Ed) FDS RCPS FRACDS, Vice-Dean, College of Dental Medicine, University of Sharjah, UAE; Professor Emeritus & Immediate-past Dean of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong; Honorary Professor & Immediate-past Head, School of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Australia; Professor, King James IV, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (2013).