This popular guide uses illustrations and concise, integrated text to describe the essentials of obstetric practice today. From the physiology of reproduction through antenatal care and disorders in pregnancy to labour and the puerperium period, readers will find an easy-to-grasp presentation of the field's most important issues.
New to this Edition
- Features nearly 20 new line drawings to show the latest in obstetric practice.
- All other illustrations and content thoroughly revised and updated.
- New material includes: Current uses and types of IUCDs (including the Mirena IUS); Management of early pregnancy including ectopic pregnancy; Preterm labour; and Ventouse (to include Kiwi-style Ventouse Cup).
Table of Contents
- 1. Physiology of reproduction
- 2. Fetal and maternal physiology
- 3. Obstetrical anatomy
- 4. Diagnosis of pregnancy
- 5. Antenatal care
- 6. Assessment of the fetus
- 7. Diseases of pregnancy
- 8. Systemic diseases in pregnancy
- 9. Vaginal bleeding in pregnancy
- 10. Multiple pregnancy and other antenatal complications
- 11. Normal labour
- 12. Abnormal labour
- 13. Abnormalities of the third stage of labour and of the placenta and cord
- 14. Obstetrical operations and maternal injuries
- 15. Puerperium: normal and abnormal
- 16. The newborn baby
- 17. Maternal and perinatal mortality
- 18. Contraception
By Kevin P. Hanretty, MD, FRCOG, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, The Queen Mother's Hospital, Glasgow; Honorary Senior Clinical University Teacher, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK