Medicine and health care generate many bioethical problems and dilemmas that are of great academic, professional and public interest. This comprehensive resource is designed as a succinct yet authoritative text and reference for clinicians, bioethicists, and advanced students seeking a better understanding of ethics problems in the clinical setting. Each chapter illustrates an ethical problem that might be encountered in everyday practice; defines the concepts at issue; examines their implications from the perspectives of ethics, law and policy; and then provides a practical resolution. There are 10 key sections presenting the most vital topics and clinically relevant areas of modern bioethics. International, interdisciplinary authorship and cross-cultural orientation ensure suitability for a worldwide audience. This book will assist all clinicians in making well-reasoned and defensible decisions by developing their awareness of ethical considerations and teaching the analytical skills to deal with them effectively.
- The practical and accessible nature of the book will heighten awareness of ethical problems and give clinicians tools to improve performance and effectiveness
- The book is versatile and may be used for teaching, as a reference, and as a comprehensive guide to Bioethics
- The subject of bioethics is dealt with comprehensively, making it relevant for many clinical and academic specialities The coverage is international and not tied to any one legal system or religious framework
- Part I. Information Problems Anne Slowther;
- Part II. End of Life Care James A. Tulsky;
- Part III. Pregnant Women and Children John Lantos;
- Part IV. Genetics and Biotechnology Abdallah S. Daar;
- Part V. Research Ethics Richard E. Ashcroft;
- Part VI. Health Systems and Institutions Ross Upshur;
- Part VII. Using Clinical Ethics to Make an Impact in Health Care Susan K. MacRae;
- Part VIII. Global Health Ethics Solomon R. Benatar;
- Part IX. Religious and Cultural Perspectives in Bioethics Joseph M. Boyle, Jr. and David Novak;
- Part X. Speciality Bioethics A. M. Viens.