The volume catalogues the impact of clinical trials on the practice of medicine and discusses the developments and practice of medical statistics. Cancer, cardiovascular disease, dermatological, dental, mental, ophthalmic health, gynaecology and respiratory diseases are all discussed in separate chapters, with discussions on outcome measures, competing risks and statistical models given for each therapy area.
It also presents:
A history of clinical trials
A summary of pertinent statistical issues
How to choose a clinical trial design
Ethical constraints and considerations
Clinical trial issues in paediatrics and those involving older patients
Clinical trials in complementary medicine
1. Brief History of Clinical Trials (S. Day and F. Ederer).
2. General Issues (D. Machin)
3. Clinical Trials in Pediatrics (J.P.E. Karlberg).
4. Clinical Trials Involving Older People (C. Jagger and A.J. Arthur).
5. Complementary Medicine (P.C.Leung).
6. Breast Cancer (D.A. Barry, T.L. Smith and A.U. Buzdar).
7. Childhood Cancer (S.B. Murphy and J.J. Shuster).
8. Gastrointestinal Cancers (D. Sargent, R. Goldberg and P. Limburg).
9. Haemotologic Cancers (C.A. Schiffer and S.L. George).
10. Melanoma (P.-Y. Liu and V.K. Sondak).
11. Respiratory Cancers (K. Kim).
12. Cardiovascular (L. Friedman and E. Schron).
DENTISTRY AND MAXILLO-FACIAL.
13. Dentistry and Maxillo-facial(M Wong, C McGrath and E Lo).
14. Dermatology (L. Naldi and C. Minelli).
15. Overview (B.S. Everitt).
16. Alzheimer’s Disease (L.J. Thal and R.G. Thomas).
17. Anxiety Disorders (M.K Shear and P.W. Lavori).
18. Cognitive Behaviour (N. Tarrier and T. Wukes).
19. Depression (G. Dunn).
20. Contraception (G. Piaggio).
21. Gynaecology and Infertility (S. Bhattacharya and J. Mollison).
22. Respiratory (A. Källén).