"This book brings together an array of international experts on addictive
disorders. Robert Coombs's Handbook of Addictive Disorders discusses the contemporary
issues surrounding the understanding of addiction, from diagnosis to treatment
of an addicted client. The Handbook of Addictive Disorders is an example of
practical and clinical information at its best."
-Lorraine D. Grymala, Executive Director American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders
The Handbook of Addictive Disorders: A Practical Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment is a comprehensive, state-of-the-art resource, featuring valuable contributions from a multidisciplinary team of leading experts. This unique guide deftly defines addiction and examines its comorbidity with other problems. Subsequent chapters present an overview of addictive disorders coupled with strategies for accurately diagnosing them, planning effective treatment, and selecting appropriate interventions. Chapters on public policy and prevention are of indispensable value in light of this growing health concern.
The only reference available to cover the full spectrum of addictions and addictive behaviors, the Handbook of Addictive Disorders provides the most current research and treatment strategies for overcoming:
This useful guide features case studies, figures and diagrams, lists of practical interventions for each disorder, and self-assessment exercises for clients.
Psychologists, addiction counselors, social workers, and others working in the addictions field will find the Handbook of Addictive Disorders to be an essential resource for practical, validated information on all types of addictions and their related problems.
PART I: DEFINING ADDICTION.
- 1. The Nature of Addiction (David E. Smith and Richard B. Seymour).
- 2. Addiction Interaction Disorder (Patrick J. Carnes, Robert E. Murray, and Louis Charpentier).
PART II: CHEMICAL DEPENDENCE.
- 3. Understanding and Diagnosing Substance Use Disorders (Arthur W. Blume).
- 4. Treating Substance Use Disorders (Jeanne L. Obert, Ahndrea Weiner, Janice Stimson, and Richard A. Rawson).
PART III: COMPULSIVE GAMBLING.
- 5. Understanding and Diagnosing Compulsive Gambling (Linda Chamberlain).
- 6. Treating Compulsive and Problem Gambling (William G. McCown).
PART IV: SEX ADDICTION.
- 7. Understanding and Diagnosing Sex Addiction (Jennifer P. Schneider).
- 8. Treating Sex Addiction (Robert Weiss).
PART V: EATING DISORDERS.
- 9. Understanding and Diagnosing Eating Disorders (David M. Garner and Anna Gerborg).
- 10. Treating Eating Disorders (Jean Petrucelli).
PART VI: WORKAHOLISM.
- 11. Understanding and Diagnosing Workaholism (Bryan E. Robinson and Claudia Flowers).
- 12. Treating Workaholism (Steven Berglas).
PART VII: COMPULSIVE BUYING.
- 13. Understanding and Diagnosing Compulsive Buying (Helga Dittmar).
- 14. Treating Compulsive Buying (April Lane Benson and Marie Gengler).
PART VIII: PUBLIC POLICY AND PREVENTION.
- 15. Public Policy on Addictive Disorders (Beau Kilmer and Robert J. MacCoun).
- 16. Preventing Addictive Disorders (Kenneth W. Griffin and Gilbert J. Botvin).
- Author Index.
- Subject Index.