With a growing population of young patients with congenital heart disease reaching adulthood, this unique new book offers an in-depth guide to managing the challenges and issues related to device therapy in this patient group.
- The only book resource dedicated to pacing, cardiac resynchronization therapy and ICD therapy for the pediatric and congenital heart disease patient
- Contains practical advice for pacemaker and ICD implantation, programming, trouble-shooting, managing complications and follow up
- Up-to-date with the latest in device technology
- Contains multiple graphics, device electrogram tracings, and radiographic images for clarity
- Includes video clips and multiple choice questions on companion website for selected chapters
- An invaluable resource for both the specialist pediatric cardiologist and the general cardiologist responsible for children with heart disease and pacing devices
List of contributors
About the companion website
Part 1: Introduction
1 History of Cardiac Pacing and Defibrillation in the Young
Larry Rhodes and Robert Campbell
2 Clinically Relevant Basics of Pacing and Defibrillation
Maully Shah, M.B.B.S, F.A.C.C., F.H.R.S. and Erick Cuvillier M.Sc
Part 2: Clinical Concepts
3 Indications for Permanent Pacing, Device and Lead Selection
Philip Chang, M.D., Yaniv Bar Cohen M.D., and Christopher Carter M.D.
4 Indications for Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator Therapy, Device and Lead Selection
Mitchell Cohen, M.D., and Susan Etheridge, M.D.
5 Hemodynamics of Pacing, and Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT) for the Failing Left and Right ventricle
Anne Dubin , M.D., and Kara Motonaga, M.D.
6 Sensor Driven Pacing: Ideal Characteristics in Pediatrics
David Bradle, y M.D., and Peter Fischbach, M.D.
7 ICD Testing
Elizabeth Stephenson M.D., and Charles Berul, M.D.
Part 3: Implantation Techniques
8 Permanent Transvenous Pacemaker, CRT and ICD Implantation in the Structurally Normal Heart
Akash Patel, M.D., and Steven Fishberger, M.D.
9 Permanent Pacemaker, CRT and ICD Implantation in Congenital Heart Disease
Ian Law, M.D., and Nicholas von Bergen, M.D.
10 Epicardial Pacing and ICD Implantation
Larry Rhodes, M.D., and Maully Shah, M.B.B.S, F.A.C.C., F.H.R.S.
11 Managing Device Related Complications and Lead Extraction
Avi Fischer, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.H.R.S., and Barry Love, M.D.
12 Temporary Pacing in Children
Anjan Batra, M.D., M.B.A. F.H.R.S., and Ilana Zeltser, M.D.
Part 4: Device Programming and Follow-up
13 Pacemaker and ICD Programming in Congenital Heart Disease
Jonathan Kaltman and Jeff Moak
14 Pacemaker Troubleshooting and Follow up
Ronn Tanel and Frank Zimmerman
15 ICD Troubleshooting and Follow up
Maully Shah, M.B.B.S, F.A.C.C., F.H.R.S. and Steve Fishberger, M.D.
16 CRT Device Programming and Optimization
Seshadri Balaji, M.B.B.S, F.R.C.S (U.K.), Ph.D and Anoop Singh, M.B.B.Ch.
17 Implantable Syncope and Arrhythmia Monitors and AEDs
John Phillips, M.D., and Pamela Ro, M.D.
18 Electromagnetic Interference and Implantable Devices
R.Lee Vogel , M.D., and Karen Smoots, B.A., B.S.N., R.N., C.C.D.S.
19 Quality of Life, Sports and Implantable Devices in the Young
Elizabeth Saarel, M.D.
20 Device Innovations and the Future of Device Therapy for Arrhythmia and Heart Failure Management
Ronald Kanter, M.D., and Michael Carboni, M.D.
Pacemaker and ICD Glossary
Jacqueline Henderson, R.N., B.S.N.