Diabetes education is a process, the key to which is establishing a therapeutic relationship with the individual. The overall goal of diabetes education is to enhance the individual’s health capability, including their ability to solve problems and apply the learning to self-care. Thus, diabetes education is an interactive process of teaching and learning where information is co-generated. This innovative and thought stimulating new book explores the ‘how’ of diabetes education, rather than the ‘what’ and the ‘why’.
Diabetes Education: Art, Science and Evidence will help health care practitioners teach diabetes effectively from diagnosis and ensure people living with diabetes receive individualised support and information. It will enable practitioners and educators to examine and reflect on their practice when managing the person with diabetes. Bringing together all the thinking and experience of the diabetes journey in one text – this book is essential reading for all practitioners and students involved in diabetes care.
- Explores the HOW of diabetes education, rather than the WHAT and the WHY.
- Features short stories, case studies, illustrative quotes, practice points and reflection points throughout
- Edited by an internationally renowned expert in the field, with contributions from some of the world’s leading diabetes educators
- Innovative approach, exploring the HOW of diabetes education, rather than the WHAT and the WHY.
- Features short stories, case studies illustrative quotes, practice points and reflection points throughout
- Edited by an internationally renowned expert in the field, with involvement from some of the world’s leading diabetes educators
Table of contents
- List of Contributors
- List of Tables, Figures and Boxes
- List of Abbreviations
- Brief Overview of Diabetes, the Disease
- The Journey of the Person with Diabetes
- Teaching and Learning: The Art and Science of Making Connections
- Making Choices, Setting Goals
- The Teacher: Moving from Good to Exceptional
- People Do Not Always Speak the Same Language Even When They Speak the Same Language
- Role and Use of Creative Arts in Diabetes Care
- Turning Points and Transitions: Crises and Opportunities
- Sharing Stories of the Journey: Peer Education
- Diabetes: A Lifetime of Learning
- Medicine Self-Management: More than Just Taking Pills
- The Advance of Health Information Technology: Travelling the Internet Superhighway
- Leadership—Know Yourself: Influence Others