This book provides health professionals with sound clinical advice on management of the obese patient admitted into hospital. It addresses all aspects of the patient's care, as well as serving as a resource to facilitate the management of services, use of clinical information, and negotiation of ethical issues that occur in intensive care. As the number of obese patients in intensive care continues to grow, this book will serve as a comprehensive clinical resource for everyday use by both obesity specialists and emergency medicine physicians.
Table of Contents
List of Contributors.
PART I-PHYSIOLOGY AND CONSEQUENCES OF OBESITY.
1. Cardiovascular physiology in obesity (Martin A. Alpert and Eric J. Chan
2. Effects of obesity on respiratory physiology (Philippe Abou Jaoude, Jahan Porhomayon, Ali El Solh
3. Gastrointestinal physiology in obesity (Alexander D. Miras and Carel W. le Roux).
4. Metabolic and Endocrine physiology in obesity (Paula Alvarez-Castro, Susana Sangiao-Alvarellos and Fernando Cordido).
5. Renal physiology in the critically ill obese patient (Eric A.J. Hoste and Jan J. De Waele).
PART II- POSITIVE PRESSURE VENTILATION.
6. Sedation, paralysis, and pain management of the critically ill obese patient (Christopher G. Hughes, Lisa Weavind and Pratik Pandharipande).
7. Upper Airway Management in the Morbidly Obese Patient (Michael Tielborg and Anthony Passannante).
8. Mechanical ventilation of the obese patient (Mohammed Mogri and M. Jeffery Mador).
9. Management of Acute Lung Injury in the Obese Patient (Hallie C. Prescott and James M. O'Brien Jr).
PART III-MANAGEMENT OF OBESITY COMPLICATIONS IN CRITICAL CARE.
10. Management of infectious complications in the critically ill obese patient (Kristin Turza Campbell, Laura H. Rosenberger, Amani D. Politano, Tjasa Hranjec, Robert G. Sawyer).
11. Management of gastrointestinal complications of the critically ill obese patient (Benjamin H. Levy III and David A. Johnson).
12. Management of metabolic and endocrine complications of the critically ill obese patient (Joseph Varon and Ilse M. Espina).
13. Management of Venous Thromboembolism in the Critically Ill Obese Patient (Terence K. Trow, Richard Matthay).
14. Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Obese Patient (Margaret E. McAtee).
15. Hemodynamic monitoring of the critically ill obese patient (Wim K. Lagrand, Eline R. van Slobbe-Bijlsma, Marcus J. Schultz).
16. Diagnostic imaging of the critically ill obese patient (Venkata S Katabathina, Neeraj Lalwani, Carlos S Restrepo and Srinivasa R Prasad).
PART V- POST SURGICAL MANAGEMENT.
17. Post Operative Care of the Obese Patient (Hui Sen Chong and Robert L. Bell).
18. Management of the obese patient with trauma (Hadley K. Herbert and Therèse M. Duane).
19. Abdominal Solid Organ Transplantation in the Obese Patient (Erin C. Hall and Dorry L. Segev).
20. Critical Care Management of the Obese Patient after Bariatric Surgery (Scott E. Mimms and Samer G. Mattar).
21. Nutritional requirements of the critically ill obese patient (Bikram S. Bal, Frederick C. Finelli and Timothy R. Koch).
22. Drug Dosing in the Critically Ill Patient (Brian L. Erstad).
PART VII-PROGNOSIS AND ETHICS.
23. Prognosis and outcome of critically ill obese patient (Yasser Sakr, Mohamed Zeiden and Juliana Marques).
24. Ethical considerations in the critically ill obese patient (Mark D. Siegel).