Rheumatology, Orthopaedics and Trauma at a Glance is the new edition of The Musculoskeletal System at a Glance. The book now includes not just basic anatomy, but also features presenting complaints and patient examination and reflects the increased coverage of rheumatology, making it relevant for students at all levels. Rheumatology, Orthopaedics and Trauma at a Glance
Expands its coverage of rheumatology to include all major topics on the medical student curriculum Includes fully illustrated chapters on examination of each part of the musculoskeletal system Provides self-assessment case studies to test knowledge and provide clinical context Consolidates all information relating to the musculoskeletal system in one title Rheumatology, Orthopaedics and Trauma at a Glance is ideal for all medical students studying the musculoskeletal system or taking an orthopaedics or rheumatology rotation.
Table of Contents
- Guide to anatomical terminology
- Section 1 Introduction.
- 1 Musculoskeletal structure and function
- 2 Calcium homeostasis and bone metabolism
- 3 History and examination – an overview
- 4 Imaging
- Section 2 The arm.
- 5 Anatomy of the arm
- 6 History and examination of the arm
- 7 Problems presenting in the arm
- 8 Upper arm trauma
- 9 Lower arm trauma
- Section 3 The spine.
- 10 Anatomy of the spine
- 11 History and examination of the spine
- 12 Problems presenting in the spine
- 13 Trauma of the spine
- Section 4 The leg.
- 14 Anatomy of the leg
- 15 History and examination of the leg
- 16 Problems presenting in the hip
- 17 Joint replacement
- 18 Problems presenting in the lower leg
- 19 Upper leg trauma
- 20 Lower leg trauma
- Section 5 Rheumatology.
- 21 Rheumatological history and examination
- 22 Pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis
- 23 Rheumatoid arthritis
- 24 Systemic lupus erythematosus
- 25 Ankylosing spondylitis
- 26 The spondyloarthropathies
- 27 Acute joint disease
- 28 Infection and malignancy
- 29 Fibromyalgia
- 30 Osteoporosis
- 31 Disorders of bone metabolism
- 32 Vasculitis 1: Giant cell arteritis
- 33 Vasculitis 2: Medium and small vessel vasculitis
- 34 Scleroderma
- 35 Infl ammatory muscle diseases
- 36 The medical management of infl ammatory disease
- 37 Rehabilitation
- Section 6 Orthopaedics.
- 38 Orthopaedics in children
- 39 Sports medicine
- 40 Neurological disorders and orthotics
- 41 Orthopaedics in the elderly
- Section 7 Trauma.
- 42 Initial management of the polytraumatised patient
- 43 Wound management
- 44 Plastic surgery
- 45 Burns
- 46 Peripheral and spinal nerve injuries
- 47 Head injuries
- 48 Fractures and dislocations
- 49 Compartment syndrome
- Self-assessment case studies: questions
- Self-assessment case studies: answers
Catherine Swales is Clinical Lecturer in Rheumatology at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford
Christopher Bulstrode is Emeritus Professor in Trauma and Orthopaedics at the University of Oxford