Choosing a healthy eating pattern is vitally important, as diet directly influences health. From The Culinary Institute of America, Techniques of Healthy Cooking is a comprehensive kitchen reference for understanding nutrition concepts, creating healthy eating patterns, developing healthy recipes and menus, and cooking healthy recipes. From soups, salads, and appetizers to main dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, there are nearly 500 recipes with more than 150 four-color photographs of ingredients, techniques, and finished dishes.
New to this edition
- 483 recipes (109 recipes are all-new to this edition) reflect the revised set of principles for healthy cooking from The Culinary Institute of America, with 157 four-color photographs displaying ingredients, techniques, and finished dishes.
- The entire collection of recipes reflects this new set of principles, using more whole ingredients, sustainable foods, and substitution options to keep menus tied closely to the seasons.
- The new edition is updated to include information on the importance of seasonality and using local sources, considering organics, and thinking about sustainability when establishing food purchasing procedures for the foodservice establishment.
- The Culinary Institute of America combines the knowledge of professional chefs, dietitians, and foodservice professionals and establishes a revised set of principles for healthy cooking to achieve and maintain optimum health.
- 483 recipes, with 109 all-new to this edition, offer ideas and inspirations to professional chefs and culinary students in an in-the-kitchen nutrition course.
- The nutrition analysis is based on the current food label and includes calories, total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, total carbohydrate, dietary fiber, sugars, and protein.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. Healthy Eating Patterns
Chapter 2. Healthy Ingredients
Chapter 3. Techniques of Healthy Cooking
Chapter 4. Developing Healthy Recipes and Menus
Chapter 5. Soups, Salads, and Appetizers
Chapter 6. Main Dishes for Lunches and Dinners
Chapter 7. Side Dishes
Chapter 8. Breakfast and Beverages
Chapter 9. Baked Goods and Desserts