By understanding the mechanisms by which compounds cross the skin, it becomes possible to devise means for improving drug delivery. Providing an overview of the current science in drug and cosmetic application to and through the skin, Topical and Transdermal Drug Delivery includes treatment of skin conditions, skin permeation, and enhancement and measurement of skin permeation. The book provides pharmaceutical scientists, skin product development experts, and those in the cosmetic and personal care industry with practical knowledge and insight into future product development.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part 1. Current science, skin permeation and enhancement approaches.
- Chapter 1. Skin structure, function and permeation (Heather A. E. Benson).
- Chapter 2. Passive skin permeation enhancement (Majella E. Lane, Paulo Santos, Adam C. Watkinson, Jonathan Hadgraft).
- Chapter 3. Electrical and physical methods of skin penetration enhancement (Jeffrey E. Grice, Tarl Prow, Mark Kendall, Michael S. Roberts).
- Chapter 4. Clinical applications of transdermal iontophoresis (D. R. Kalaria, S. Dubey and Y. N. Kalia).
- Chapter 5. In vitro skin permeation methodology (Barrie Finnin, Kenneth A. Walters and Thomas J. Franz).
- Chapter 6. Skin permeation assessment: tape stripping (Sandra Wiedersberg and Sara Nicoli).
- Chapter 7. Skin permeation assessment: microdialysis (R. Holmgaard, JB Nielsen and E. Benfeldt).
- Chapter 8. Skin permeation assessment: spectroscopic methods (Jon Hadgraft, Majella Lane).
- Chapter 9. Skin permeation assessment in man: in vitro – in vivo correlation (Paul A. Lehman, Sam G. Raney, Thomas J. Franz).
- Chapter 10. Risk assessment (Jon R. Heylings).
Part 2. Topical and Transdermal Product Development.
- Chapter 11. An Overview of Product Development From Concept To Approval (Adam C. Watkinson).
- Chapter 12. Regulatory Aspects of Drug Development for Dermal Products (William K. Sietsema).
- Chapter 13. Toxicological and preclinical considerations for novel excipients and NCEs (Andrew Makin, Jen Thing Mortensen).
- Chapter 14. Topical product formulation development (Marc B. Brown, Robert Turner and Sian T. Lim).
- Chapter 15. Transdermal product formulation development (Kenneth J. Miller).
- Chapter 16. Sensitivity and irritation testing (Belum Viswanath Reddy, Geetanjali Sethi, Howard I. Maibach).
- Chapter 17. New Product Development for Transdermal Drug Delivery: Understanding the Market Opportunity (Hugh Alsop).
- Chapter 18. Transdermal and topical drug delivery today (Adam C. Watkinson).
- Chapter 19. Current and future trends: Skin diseases and treatment (Simon G. Danby and Michael J. Cork).