Topically applied products and medications can profoundly affect skin's barrier function and overall health. Bursting with suggestions to assist research and development, Innate Immune System of Skin and Oral Mucosa: Properties and Impact in Pharmaceutics, Cosmetics, and Personal Care Products provides a comprehensive overview on the innate immune system and its relevance to pharmaceutics, cosmetic chemistry, and personal care products. The book allows pharmaceutical and medical professionals to assess accumulated knowledge and develop an understanding that will pave the way for next generation treatment avenues, preventative approaches, and drug development.
Table of Contents
- I. Overview of skin and mucosa innate immunity: history, ethics and science.
1.Historical overview of the use of soaps and cleaning products (Jennifer Tebbe-Grossman and Martha N. Gardner).
- 2. Ethical responsibilities in formulating, marketing and using antimicrobial products (Kenneth Richman).
- 3. Stratum corneum structural and functional contributions to cutaneous antimicrobial defense (Peter Elias).
II. Antimicrobial lipids and peptides.
- 4. Antimicrobial Lipids of the Skin and Oral Mucosa (K. A. Brogden, D. R. Drake, D. V. Dawson, J. R. Hill, C. Bratt, P. W. Wertz).
- 5. Resident microflora and antimicrobial peptides of skin (Shamim Ansari).
- 6. Diffensins (Neelam Muizzudin).
- 7. Antimicrobial peptides of skin and oral mucosa (Whasun Oh Chung and Henrik Dommisch).
- 8. Vernix Caseosa and Innate Immunity (Steven B. Hoath, MD, Vivek Narendran, MD, Marty O. Visscher, PhD).
III. Host cellular components of innate immunity.
- 9. Sentinel role of mast cells in innate immunity (Zhenping Wang, Anna Di Nardo).
- 10. Cellular immunity of the skin: Langerhans cells and dendritic cells (Karen E. Burke and Niroshana Anandasabapathy).
- IV. Innate immunity response to stress and aging.
- 11. Changes in skin immunity with age and disease (Barbara Geusens, Ilse Mollet, Chris D. Anderson, Sarah Terras, Michael S. Roberts and Jo Lambert).
- 12. Epidermis as a shield from radiation and oxidative stress (Giuseppe Valacchi).
- 13. The impact to skin’s innate immunity by cosmetic products applied to skin and scalp (Rudranath Persau and Thomas Re).
- 14. UV induced immunosuppression of skin (Roger L. McMullen).
V. Innate immunity microbial challenges.
- 15. Deranged Anti-microbial Barrier in Atopic Dermatitis: Roles of Sphingosine, Hexadecenoic Acid and Beta-Defensine-2 (Gengi Imokawa).
- 16. Resident microflora of skin and oral mucosa (David Drake).
- 17. Corynebacterium species and their role in the generation of human malodor (Carol Bratt and Nava Dayan).