In Asian Noodles: Science, Technology and Processing, international experts review the current knowledge and offer comprehensive cutting-edge coverage on Asian noodles unmatchable in any publication. The authors cover an array of topics including breeding for noodle wheat, noodle flour milling, noodle flour quality control and analysis, noodle processing, sensory and instrumental measurements of noodle quality, the effects of wheat factors on noodle quality, packaging and storage, nutritional fortification of noodle products, noodle flavor seasoning, and noodle plant setup and management.
Table of Contents
1. Breeding Noodle Wheat in China (Zhonghu He, Xianchun Xia, and Yan Zhang).
2. Breeding for Dual-Purpose Hard White Wheat in the US: Noodles and Pan Bread (Arron H. Carter, Carl A. Walker, and Kimberlee K. Kidwell).
3. Wheat Milling and Flour Quality Analysis for Noodles in Japan (Hideki Okusu, Syunsuke Otsubo, and James Dexter).
4. Wheat Milling and Flour Quality Analysis for Noodles in Taiwan (C. C. Chen and Shu-ying (Sophia) Yang).
5. Noodle Processing Technology (Gary G. Hou, Syunsuke Otsubo, Hideki Okusu, and Lanbin Shen).
6. Instant Noodle Seasonings (Kerry Fabrizio, Rajesh Potineni, and Kim Gray).
7. Packaging of Noodle Products (Qingyue Ling).
8. Laboratory Pilot-Scale Noodle Manufacturing and Evaluation Protocols (Gary G. Hou).
9. Objective Evaluation of Noodles (David W. Hatcher).
10. Sensory Evaluation of Noodles (Bin Xiao Fu and Linda Malcolmson).
11. Effects of Flour Protein and Starch on Noodle Quality (Byung-Kee Baik).
12. Effects of Polyphenol Oxidase on Noodle Color: Mechanisms, Measurement, and Improvement (E. Patrick Fuerst, James V. Anderson, and Craig F. Morris).
13. Effects of Flour Characteristics on Noodle Texture (Andrew S. Ross and Graham B. Crosbie).
14. Noodle Plant Setup and Resource Management (Gary G. Hou, Syunsuke Otsubo, Veronica Jimenez, and Julio Gonzalez).
15. Quality Assurance Programs for Instant Noodle Manufacturing (Sumonrut Kamolchote, Toh Tian Seng, Julio Gonzalez, and Gary G. Hou).
16. Rice and Starch-Based Noodles (Zhan-Hui Lu and Lilia S. Collado).
Gary G. Hou is Technical Director and Asian Foods Specialist at the Wheat Marketing Center, where he has organized the Asian Products Collaborative annually from 1996 to 2008. This project has resulted in the product formulation, process, and evaluation protocols for twelve types of Asian noodles and six types of steamed breads. Dr. Hou co-chaired the Pasta/Noodle Track at the 2006 World Grains Summit of the AACC International and chaired the Asian Product Symposium at the 2008 AACC International Annual Meeting, and has led two workshops on hard white wheat quality targets. Dr. Hou has traveled to over thirty countries and provided technical support and training services to numerous flour mills, Asian noodle and steamed bread manufacturers, bakeries, and ingredient suppliers. Dr. Hou is the Course Director of the following courses: Asian Noodle Technology, Asian Noodle Technology and Ingredient Application, Advanced Asian Noodle Technology, Whole Wheat Flour Product Development, Steamed Breads, Flour Tortillas and Arabic Flat Breads, and a number of new short courses being developed.