This book provides a solid foundation in radiography for first year degree students by giving an overview of the basic principles and inspiring them to explore further the concepts presented. It also covers the core knowledge and standards for professional practice in sufficent depth to enable Assistant Practitioners to pass their NVQ examinations, practise their skills effectively and provide good patient care.
- Very structured text with clear headings and relevance to practice indicated throughout
- Chapter style will enable students to dip into text to find relevant information as an aid to revision
- Set of revision questions at end of each chapter
- All contributors currently teach Assistant Practitioners and student radiographers
Table of Contents
- List of contributors.
- Chapter 1 - An introduction to ethics (Julie Woodley).
- Chapter 2 - The law at work (Simon Messer).
- Chapter 3 - Communication (Gillian Springett and Karen Dunmall).
- Chapter 4 - Patient care (Sarah Fearn).
- Chapter 5 - Clinical skills for preparation of the patient and clinical environment (Karen Dunmall).
- Chapter 6 - Procedures in radiography (Karen Dunmall).
- Chapter 7 - Physics of radiography (Marc Griffiths and Ken Holmes).
- Chapter 8 - The x-ray tube (Nick Oldnall).
- Chapter 9 - Production of x-rays (Patty Ward).
- Chapter 10 - Effects of radiation (Sally Perry).
- Chapter 11 - Diagnostic equipment (Marc Griffiths and Ken Holmes).
- Chapter 12 - Films, cassettes, intensifying screens and processing (Brian Channon).
- Chapter 13 - Digital radiography (Fiona Chamberlain).
- Chapter 14 - Image quality (Ken Holmes).
- Chapter 15 - Mammography (Karen Dunmall).
- Chapter 16 - Nuclear Medicine (Vicki Major and Marc Griffiths).
- Chapter 17 - Ultrasound (Rita Phillips).
- Chapter 18 - Computerised tomography (Sophia Beale and Catriona Todd).
- Chapter 19 - Magnetic resonance imaging (Juliet C. Semple).
- Chapter 20 - Anatomy and Physiology (Aarthi Ramlaul).
- Chapter 21 - Pathology (Stuart Grange).
- Appendix 1 - Trolley settings for radiographic procedures.
- Appendix 2 - Patient pathways in nuclear medicine.
- Appendix 3 - Computerised tomography protocols. Multiple Choice Questions. Short questions and answers.
By Suzanne Easton, MSc, BSc, Senior Lecturer, University of the West of England, UK