Editor in Chief: Gerald L Mandell Professor of Medicine, Owen R Cheatham Professor of the Sciences, Chief,Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
This new atlas has been created especially for the primary care physician, from the spectacular 10 volume Atlas of Infectious Diseases, edited by Gerald Mandell. It contains over 450 full-colour images, to give the optimal range of image types for a multifaceted understanding of each clinical problem: clinical photographs of patients, pathology specimens, gram stains, culture plates, radiographic material, scans, schematic drawings and tables. There are detailed captions discussing each image which are targeted to help the busy non-specialist clinician easily diagnose and treat the entire range of systemic infections.
- CHAPTER 1 AIDS: Epidemiology, natural history, and prevention / human immunodeficiency virus / host response / classification and spectrum / cutaneous manifestations / ophthalmic manifestations / oral cavity manifestations / pulmonary complications / gastrointestinal manifestations/ neurologic manifestations / metabolic manifestations / hematologic manifestations / microbiology of opportunistic infections / clinical manifestations of opportunistic infections / treatment and prophylaxis of opportunistic infections / aids-associated malignancies / pediatric HIV infection / HIV infection in women / rationale and strategies for antiretroviral therapy in HIV -1 infection /antiviral treatments
- CHAPTER 2 SKIN, SOFT TISSUE, BONE AND JOINT INFECTIONS: Introduction / staphylococcal soft tissue infections / streptococcal infections of skin and soft tissues / animal bite infections / infections associated with animal contact / fungal and yeast infections of the skin, appendages, and subcutaneous tissues / viral infections of the skin and soft tissues / ectoparasitic diseases of the skin / parasitic diseases of the skin and soft tissues / leprosy (Hansen's disease) / spirochetal infections of the skin / clostridial infections / osteomyelitis / joint infections and rheumatic manifestations of infectious diseases
- CHAPTER 3 CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AND EYE INFECTIONS: Acute bacterial meningitides / subacute and chronic meningitides / viral encephalitis and related conditions / brain abscesses / parasitic diseases of the nervous system / epidural abscess and subdural empyema / venous sinus infections / infections of the skull and bony sinuses / the nervous system in sepsis and endocarditis / ocular and orbital infections / rion diseases
- CHAPTER 4 UPPER RESPIRATORY AND HEAD AND NECK INFECTIONS: Eye and orbit infections / otitis media and infections of the inner ear / infections of the external ear / sinusitis / infectious diseases of the oral cavity / pharyngotonsillitis / epiglot titis, croup, laryngitis and tracheitis / cervical lymphadenopathy / parotitis and thyroiditis / deep neck infections and postoperative infections
- CHAPTER 5 SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES: Gonorrhoea / chlamydial infections / bacterial vaginosis / pelvic inflammatory disease / trichomoniasis / vulvovaginal candidiasis / syphilis: epidemiology and laboratory testing / primary and secondary syphilis / late syphilis / human papilomavirus-associated diseases / ectoparisitic infestations / molluscum contagiousum / herpes simplex virus infections / chancroid
- CHAPTER 6 PLEUROPULMONARY AND BRONCHIAL INFECTIONS: Gram-positive bacterial infections of the lungs / gram-negative bacterial infections of the lungs / atypical pneumonia due to higher bacteria / tuberculosis and other mycobacterial infections of the lungs / fungal infections / anaerobic lung infections, lung abscesses, and nosocomial pneumonias / viral pneumonias / protozoan and helminthic infections of the lungs / pleural effusion and empyema / pneumonias in cancer patient / respiratory infections in transplant recipients / pulmonary manifestations of extrapulmonary infection / acute and chronic bronchitis and bronchiolitis
- CHAPTER 7 INTRA-ABDOMINAL INFECTIONS, HEPATITIS AND GASTROENTERITIS: Intra-abdominal infections and abscesses / hepatitis / bacterial enteritis / helicobacter pylori infection / viral enteritis / parasitic enteritis / fungal enteritis / diagnostic imaging
- CHAPTER 8 EXTERNAL MANIFESTATIONS OF SYSTEMIC INFECTIONS: Viral exanthems of childhood / infective endocarditis / sepsis and bacteremia / streptococcal infections / staphylococcus aureus infections / / Lyme disease / ehrlichiosis and babesiosis / bartonella infections / leprosy / viral hemorrhagic fevers / systemic fungal infections / manifestations of protozoal and helminthic diseases in Latin America / cutaneous manifestations of infection in the immunocompromised host.
- CHAPTER 9 URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS AND INFECTIONS OF THE FEMALE PELVIS: Cystitis / pyelonephritis / complicated urinary tract infections/ infections of the prostate / candiduria / catheter-associated urinary tract infections / infections of the vulva / cervicitis and endometritis / septic abortion / tuboovarian abscesses