Written with the ease and clarity that so readily characterizes Leon Chaitow's work, the new edition of this popular book explains and explores the use of Neuromuscular Techniques (NMT) - proven soft-tissue manipulative techniques which are used to assess and treat myofascial pain and dysfunction.
Complete with DVD showing the techniques performed by the author, Modern Neuromuscular Techniques 3e explores the history and evolution of NMT and explains how they can be used to allow the rapid and accurate identification of local soft-tissue dysfunction.
Clearly written and fully illustrated throughout, the book provides a clear set of treatment options for many common musculoskeletal disorders, including many of the symptoms of fibromyalgia, in addition to non-musculoskeletal problems such as abdominal dysfunction, lymphatic disorders, and the treatment of breathing pattern disorders such as hyperventilation.
Authored by an expert of international renown - together with international experts in associated approaches - the book brings together a wealth of ideas from across the spectrum of therapeutic body work with sources ranging from Alexander, Barlow, Janda, Lewit, Nimmo and Simons, to Rolf and Upledger.
Modern Neuromuscular Techniques 3e will be ideal for osteopathic physicians, osteopaths, chiropractors, manipulative physical therapists and acupuncturists, whether qualified or in training.
- Facilitates the rapid and accurate identification of local soft-tissue dysfunction
- Explains the origin of soft tissue distress
- Provides diverse maps and explanations for the patterns of tender and trigger points seen daily in clinical practice
- Includes guidance on the use of NMT for the treatment of the symptoms of fibromyalgia and abdominal dysfunction
- Gives important guidance on the treatment of trigger points in treating lymphatic dysfunction
- Discusses the use of NMT in the management of pain and hyperventilation
- Explains the diagnostic and therapeutic value of tender reflex points related to viscero-somatic and somatic-visceral reflexes
- Describes both European and North American versions of NMT
- Provides a clear set of treatment options for all bodywork therapists and acupuncture practitioners
- Authored by a highly respected, internationally known teacher, practitioner and author, with contributions from three leading practitioners from the U.S. and Europe
New to This Edition
- Contains a new chapter on the value of Thai Yoga massage, associated with NMT methodology
- Contains source material and commentary on the contribution of Raymond Nimmo DC in the evolution of NMT
- Contains updated DVD with video clips demonstrating the application of NMT
Table of Contents
1 Soft tissue distress
2 Introduction to NMT
3 Myofascial trigger points and other reflex phenomena
4 The variety of reflex points
5 Diagnostic methods
6 Basic spinal NMT
7 Basic abdominal and pelvic NMT application
8 Associated techniques
9 NMT in clinical use
10 American neuromuscular therapy (Judith DeLany)
11 Progressive inhibition of neuromusculoskeletal structures (PINS) technique (Dennis J Dowling)
12 Thai massage and neuromuscular technique (Howard Evans)
Appendix: Nimmo, Chiropractic and myofascial pain (Jeffrey Cohen, Russell W Gibbons, Michael Schneider and Howard Vernon)
By Leon Chaitow, ND, DO, Osteopathic Practitioner and Honorary Fellow, University of Westminster, London, UK
Product Reviewsplease Login to review