Ensure you understand one of the most sophisticated areas of respiratory care with Pilbeam's Mechanical Ventilation: Physiological and Clinical Applications, 7th Edition! Known for its simple explanations and in-depth coverage of patient-ventilator management, this evidence-based text walks you through the most fundamental and advanced concepts surrounding mechanical ventilation and helps you understand how to properly apply these principles to patient care. This new edition is an excellent reference for all critical care practitioners and features coverage of the physiological effects of mechanical ventilation on different cross sections of the population. Additionally, student-friendly features promote critical thinking and clinical application - such as key points, AARC clinical practice guidelines, critical care concepts, updated learning objectives which address ACCS exam topics and are currently mandated by the NBRC for the RRT-ACCS credential.
- Brief patient case studies list important assessment data and pose a critical thinking question to you.
- Critical Care Concepts are presented in short questions to help you apply knowledge to difficult concepts.
- UNIQUE! Chapter on ventilator-associated pneumonia provides in-depth, comprehensive coverage of this challenging issue.
- Clinical scenarios cover patient presentation, assessment data, and treatment options to acquaint you with different clinical situations.
- Key Point boxes highlight need-to-know information.
- Logical chapter sequence builds on previously learned concepts and information.
- Bulleted end-of-chapter summaries help you to review and assess your comprehension.
- Excerpts of Clinical Practice Guidelines developed by the AARC (American Association for Respiratory Care) make it easy to access important information regarding indications/contraindications, hazards and complications, assessment of need, assessment of outcome, and monitoring.
- Chapter outlines show the big picture of each chapter's content.
- Glossary of mechanical ventilation terminology includes definitions to highlighted key terms in each chapter.
- NBRC exam-style assessment questions at the end of each chapter offer practice for the certification exam.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Interprofessional education and practice concepts integrated throughout text and within respective chapters.
- NEW! Enhanced content on the physiological effects of mechanical ventilation application provides in-depth coverage of patient concerns.
- UPDATED! Content on ventilator modes in, Selecting the Ventilator Mode and Initial Ventilator Settings chapters.
- NEW! Revised Basic Concepts of Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation chapter includes the latest practics in this area of respiratory care.
- NEW! Learning Objectives and end-of-chapter Review Questions reflect the updated content and the latest NBRC RRT-ACCS exam topics.
By J M Cairo, PhD, RRT, Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions Professor of Cardiopulmonary Science, Physiology, and Anesthesiology Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA