Build a broad fundamental knowledge of mental health concepts and disorders! Foundations of Mental Health Care, 7th Edition uses an easy-to-read, multi-disciplinary approach to describe the treatment of clients with mental health disorders. Ideal for nurses and other caregivers, this guide provides in-depth coverage of issues and principles, therapeutic skills, mental health problems throughout the lifecycle, and specific psychological and psychosocial conditions. This edition is updated with the latest information on violence, suicide, substance abuse, and more. Written by expert educator Michelle Morrison-Valfre, this resource enables you to provide effective therapy to clients with a wide range of maladaptive behaviors.
- DSM-5 criteria are used in the descriptions of all mental health disorders.
- Sample client care plans show how members of the health care team work collaboratively to meet client needs.
- Case studies provide realistic client situations that illustrate chapter concepts and strengthen critical thinking.
- Critical Thinking boxes contain thought-provoking client issues and questions, helping students develop skills in clinical reasoning.
- Drug Alert boxes identify the risks and possible adverse reactions of psychotherapeutic medications.
- Cultural Consideration boxes highlight cultural issues and address the mental health needs of culturally diverse clients.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® feature includes NCLEX-PN review questions, preparing students for success on classroom and licensure exams.
- Study Guide on the Evolve companion website reinforces student understanding of important concepts from the text. Included free with textbook purchase.
New to this Edition
- UPDATED coverage keeps students current with the latest issues and approaches to mental health care in the United States.
- UPDATED content includes new information on violence, suicide, physical abuse, substance abuse, and schizophrenia.
By Michelle Morrison-Valfre, RN, BSN, MHS, FNP, Health Care Educator/Consultant, Heatlh and Education Consultants, Forest Grove, OR