1.Health Care Agencies
2.The Person's Rights
3.The Nursing Assistant
5.Ethics And Laws
6.Student And Work Ethics
7.Communicating with the Person
8.Health Team Communications
10.Body Structure And Function
11.Growth And Development
12.The Older Person
15.Restraint Alternatives And Restraints
17.NEW! Isolation Precautions
19.Moving The Person
20.Transferring The Person
21.The Person's Unit
23.NEW! Oral Hygiene
24.NEW! Daily Hygiene and Bathing
26.NEW! Dressing And Undressing
30.NEW! Nutrition Needs
31.NEW! Fluid Needs
32.Nutritional Support And IV Therapy
34.Exercise And Activity
35.Comfort, Rest, And Sleep
36.Admissions, Transfers, And Discharges
37.Assisting With The Physical Examination
38.Collecting And Testing Specimens
39.The Person Having Surgery
42.Heat And Cold Applications
44.Respiratory Support And Therapies
46.Hearing, Speech, And Vision Problems
47.Cancer, Immune System, And Skin Disorders
48.Nervous System And Musculo-Skeletal Disorders
49.Cardiovascular, Respiratory, And Lymphatic Disorders
50.Digestive And Endocrine Disorders
51.Urinary And Reproductive Disorders
52.Mental Health Disorders
53.Confusion And Dementia
54.Intellectual And Developmental Disabilities
56.Caring For Mothers And Babies
60.Getting A Job
Review Question Answers
Appendix A: National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP®) Written Examination Content Outline and Skills
Appendix B: Minimum Data Set - Selected Pages
Appendix C: Care Area Assessment (CAA) - Sample Page
Appendix D: Infant and Child Safety
Appendix E: CPR Skills Testing Checklists
Known for its comprehensive coverage, readability, and visual presentation, Mosby's Textbook for Nursing Assistants, 10th Edition helps prepare you to work in long-term care, acute care, and subacute care settings - and includes a practice scenario in each chapter to enhance clinical judgment skills. It is the most comprehensive text for CNA programs, packed with step-by-step instructions for over 100 procedures and perfect for programs that are 80 hours or longer. The lifespan coverage includes skills not only for adults and older residents, but also for maternity and pediatric patients, so you are comfortable in a variety of care settings. New chapter organization allows you to learn in manageable portions and a revitalized art program clarifies important concepts and procedural steps.
- UPDATED! Shorter, more focused chapters help you retain important concepts and skills covered in the NATCEP certification exam.
- NEW and UPDATED! New chapter organization breaks material into manageable portions, improving your ability to retain important information.
- UPDATED! Enhanced art program illustrates important content and procedures.
- A clear writing style at a 7th grade reading level ensures accessibility for low-level learners.
- Over 100 skills outlined in pre- procedure, procedure, and post-procedure sections ensure you learn all the necessary steps to pass the skills portion of the certification exam.
- Complete coverage of the knowledge and skills needed to pass the state certification exam and engage in safe practice.
- Focus on Practice: Problem Solving provides scenarios that stimulate critical thinking about common situations encountered during practice.
- Focus on Math feature reviews mathematical calculations needed in various care measures and procedures.
- Focus on Surveys feature highlights the nursing assistant's role during state inspections.
- Getting a Job chapter covers the soft skills needed to seek and obtain employment.
- Focus on PRIDE: The Person, Family, and Yourself boxes build on chapter concepts to help promote pride in the nursing assistant, the resident, and the resident's family.
- Promoting Safety and Comfort boxes emphasize the importance of the patient's or resident's safety and comfort.
- Delegation Guidelines detail the specifics of accepting delegated tasks.
- Focus on Children and Older Person boxes provide age-specific information about special needs, considerations, and circumstances of children and older persons.
- Focus on Long-Term Care and Home Care boxes highlight information vital to providing competent care in the long-term and home care settings.
- Focus on Communication boxes provide guidelines for how to clearly communicate with residents and avoid comments that might make them uncomfortable.
- Caring About Culture boxes contain information to help you learn about the various practices of other cultures.
- Teamwork and Time Management boxes provide specific guidelines to help nursing assistants work most efficiently whether independently or as part of the nursing team.
- Chapter review questions are a useful study guide found at the end of each chapter.
By Sheila A. Sorrentino, PhD, RN, Curriculum and Health Care Consultant, Anthem, AZ and Leighann Remmert, MS, RN, Clinical Instructor, Capital Area School of Practical Nursing, Springfield, IL