2. Arterial Puncture
3. Blood Pressure Measurement
4. Casting and Splinting
6. Dermatologic Procedures
7. Draining/Evacuation of Subungual Hematomas
8. Endometrial Biopsy
9. Endotracheal Intubation
10. Epistaxis and Nasal Foreign Body Removal
11. Foot Examination of the Patient with Diabetes
12. Incision and Drainage of an Abscess
14. Inserting Intravenous Catheters
15. Joint and Bursal Aspiration
16. Local Anesthesia
17. Lumbar Puncture
18. Nasogastric Tube Placement
19. Obtaining Blood Cultures
20. Office Pulmonary Function Testing
21. Introduction to Point-of-Care Ultrasonography (POCUS)
22. Procedural Sedation
23. Recording an Electrocardiogram
24. Reduction of the Shoulder/Finger Subluxations
25. Removal of Cerumen and Foreign Bodies from the Ear
26. Ring Removal
27. The Pelvic Examination and Obtaining a Routine Papanicolaou Smear
28. Trauma-Oriented Ocular Examination, Corneal Abrasion, and Ocular Foreign Body Removal
29. Treating Ingrown Toenails
30. Urinary Bladder Catheterization
32. Wound Closure
33. Wound Dressing Techniques
34. Informed Consent
35. Standard Precautions
36. Sterile Technique
37. Patient Education Concepts
38. Outpatient Coding for Medical Services
39. Procedural Notes and Documentation
40. Giving Sad and Bad News
Provide safe and effective care to every patient with the fully revised 4th Edition of Essential Clinical Procedures. Written by experts in the field, this widely used reference shows you step by step how to perform more than 70 of the most common diagnostic and treatment-related procedures in today's primary care and specialist settings. You'll find clear, concise coverage of the skills you need to know, including new and advanced procedures and new procedure videos.
- Covers patient preparation, the proper use of instruments, and potential dangers and complications involved in common procedures, as well as nonprocedural issues such as informed consent, standard precautions, patient education, and procedure documentation.
- Includes new chapters on Point-of-Care Ultrasound and Ring Removal, as well as 34 new procedure videos.
- Features significantly revised content on cryosurgery · injection techniques · arterial puncture · shoulder/finger subluxations · sterile technique · outpatient coding · casting and splinting · blood cultures · standard precautions · and more.
- Contains more than 200 high-quality illustrations, including updated images of office pulmonary function testing and wound closure.
- Uses a consistently formatted presentation to help you find information quickly.
- Reflects the latest evidence-based protocols and national and international guidelines throughout.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
By Richard W. Dehn, MPA, PA-C, Professor, College of Health and Human Services; Chair, Department of Physician Assistant Studies, Northern Arizona University Phoenix Biomedical Campus, Phoenix, Arizona and David P. Asprey, PhD, PA-C, Professor and Chair, Department of Physician Assistant Studies and Services, Assistant Dean, Office of Student Affairs and Curriculum, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa