With a focus on the most commonly used drugs in dentistry, Applied Pharmacology for the Dental Hygienist, 8th Edition provides you with an in-depth understanding of the pharmacologic principles needed for safe and effective dental treatment and oral health care. It discusses drug properties and mechanisms of action, dosages, intended effects, interactions, and adverse reactions - both for the medications a patient may already be taking and for the drugs prescribed by the dentist. This new edition has been updated throughout to give you a firm foundation in pharmacology in order to assess and educate patients so they can maintain optimal oral health!
- IMPROVED! Test Bank with cognitive leveling based on Bloom's Taxonomy mapped to the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE) blueprint.
- Comprehensive coverage with a dental focus provides you with an in-depth understanding of the most commonly used drugs, how they work, and how they affect patients' oral health and dental treatment options.
- Multiple opportunities for classroom and board exam prep offers summaries and review questions at the end of each chapter, helping you to assess your knowledge of the material.
- Key terms are bolded and in color within each chapter and defined in a handy glossary.
- Full-color design engages the reader and includes additional illustrations showing basic principles and internal processes, along with photographs of oral conditions and side effects.
- Separate drug index provides easy look-up of specific drugs and types of drugs.
- Quick-reference appendixes include resources such as the top 200 drugs, medical acronyms, and information on herbal and dietary supplements.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Updated drug content throughout, including new side effects and warnings for many commonly seen drugs.
- NEW! Elsevier Animation Collection clips on Evolve includes systemic anatomy and physiology.
By Elena Bablenis Haveles, BS Pharm, Pharm D, Adjunct Associate Professor of Pharmacology, School of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Sciences, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA; Instructor, Pharmacy Technician Program, Stratford University, Virginia Beach, VA