Get the accurate, practical information you need to succeed in the classroom, the clinical setting, and on the NCLEX-RN® examination. Written by the foremost experts in maternity and pediatric nursing, the user-friendly Maternal Child Nursing Care, 6th Edition provides both instructors and students with just the right amount of maternity and pediatric content. This new edition includes updated case studies within Nursing Care Plans, as well as a new chapter on pediatric cancer. Focus on the family throughout emphasizes the influence of the entire family in health and illness.
- Focus on the family throughout emphasizes the influence of the entire family in health and illness.
- Expert authors of the market-leading maternity and pediatric nursing textbooks combine to ensure delivery of the most accurate, up-to-date content.
- Critical thinking case studies offer you opportunities to test and develop your analytical skills and apply knowledge in various settings.
- Nursing Care Plans include rationales for interventions and provide you with an overview and specific guidelines for delivering effective nursing care.
- Nursing Alerts highlight critical information that you need to know when treating patients.
- Guidelines boxes outline nursing procedures in an easy-to-follow format.
- Emergency boxes in the maternity unit guide you through step-by-step emergency procedures.
- Home Care boxes detail important information that you need to deliver care to patients and families in the home setting.
- Atraumatic Care boxes in the pediatric unit teach you how to provide competent and effective care to pediatric patients with the least amount of physical or psychological stress.
- Community Focus boxes emphasize community issues, provide resources and guidance, and illustrate nursing care in a variety of settings.
- Patient Teaching boxes in the maternity unit highlight important information nurses need to communicate to patients and families.
- Cultural Competence boxes equip you with the knowledge you need to deliver culturally competent care.\
- Family-Centered Care boxes draw attention to the needs or concerns of families that you should consider to provide family-centered care.
- Medication Guides serve as an important reference of drugs and their interactions.
New to this Edition
- NEW! New chapter on pediatric cancer gives you the most up-to-date information on the latest topics.
- EXPANDED! Additional information on sexuality in the maternity section.
- EXPANDED! More content on spirituality in the family, culture, and spiritual chapters.
- EXPANDED and UPDATED! New content about LBGTQ+ included in the Transition to Parenthood chapter.
- NEW! Information on victims of sexual abuse as parents and human trafficking helps prepare you to handle these delicate issues.
- NEW and UPDATED! Case studies emphasize interprofessional care, demonstrating how nursing must collaborate with other health care disciplines to provide the most comprehensive care possible to women and children.
- UPDATED! Nursing Care Plans now incorporate case studies to personalize interventions and promote critical thinking.
By Shannon E. Perry, RN, PhD, FAAN, Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA; Marilyn J. Hockenberry, PhD, RN-CS, PNP, FAAN, Bessie Baker Distinguished Professor of Nursing Professor of Pediatrics Chair, Duke Institutional Review Board Duke University Durham, NC ; Deitra Leonard Lowdermilk, RNC, PhD, FAAN, Clinical Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC; David Wilson, MS, RN, C(INC), Staff PALS Coordinator Children's Hospital at Saint Francis Tulsa, OK; Kathryn Rhodes Alden, EdD, MSN, RN, IBCLC, Clincial Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC and Mary Catherine Cashion, RN, BC, MSN, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA