Easily navigate through the complicated and challenging world of daily on-the-job human interactions, with Health Professional and Patient Interaction, 9th Edition. Covering strategies for effective communication, this time-tested guide offers the tools you need to establish positive patient and interprofessional relationships built on respect. It not only covers respectful actions and good decision-making, but also demonstrates how those decisions directly shape your on-the-job success. Practical examples and authentic scenarios highlight how to apply respect and professionalism to coworkers and patients of various ages and various backgrounds across a wide spectrum of healthcare environments. It's the foundation you need to effectively and successfully communicate on the job.
- Overall emphasis on respect sets up a basis for building positive relationships with patients and fellow health professionals through good decision-making.
- UNIQUE! Authentic scenarios and examples demonstrate strategies and tools for effective communication with patients of all ages in a wide range of health care settings.
- UNIQUE! Interdisciplinary approach addresses issues that apply to many different healthcare disciplines to help you identify with your specific field as well as recognize themes that apply across the healthcare spectrum.
- Authentic patient cases give you a more personal connection as to how the various communications and actions discussed in the text affect the patient.
- Reflections Questions throughout the text challenge you to apply critical thinking skills and your personal experience to different scenarios.
- Questions for Thought and Discussion at the end of each section help you apply your knowledge to a variety of situations.
New to this Edition
- UNIQUE! New chapter on respectful interprofessional collaboration and communication discusses best practices for respectfully interacting with one's coworkers across the professional health team.
- NEW & UNIQUE! Clearer integration of respect throughout the text underscores its necessity across the many different types of interactions between the health professional and patient.
- NEW! Introduction on how respect impacts a professional's practice has been added to Part One of the text and covers critical topics such as establishing a professional identity and creating healthy, respectful relationships while being mindful of boundaries within such relationships.
- NEW! Updated photos feature health professionals engaged in authentic clinical activities.
By Amy M. Haddad, PhD, RN, Professor, Center for Health Policy and Ethics, Department of Pharmaceutical and Administrative Sciences, School of Allied Health Professions, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, NE; Ruth B. Purtilo, PhD, FAPTA, Professor Emerita of Ethics, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA; John Marsh Visiting Professor, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT and Regina F. Doherty, OTD, OTR/L, FAOTA, Associate Professor, Occupational Therapy Department, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA; Senior Occupational Therapist, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA