Comprehensive and up to date, the Second Edition of Diagnostic Pathology: Infectious Disease, by Dr. Richard Kradin, is an invaluable tool for the accurate diagnosis of any infectious disease?from the common to the most challenging. The organ-based format makes it an especially useful tool for surgical pathologists' daily diagnostic and management issues. High-quality, full-color illustrations and differential diagnosis tables accompany each lesion, clearly depicting how to recognize the morphology of organisms and the spectrum of histological responses that they may cause.
New to this Edition
- Completely revised with the latest diagnostic support and hot topics in the field:
- A new chapter on novel techniques in microbiology
- A new chapter on eye infections
- New coverage of immunohistochemical staining and other molecular diagnostic techniques
- New discussions of human papillomavirus, a critical tool in predictive cancer screening
- New information on infections in the immunocompromised host and related special considerations
- Expert Consult eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, images, videos (including video updates), glossary, and references from thebook on a variety of devices.
- Addresses the most difficult diagnostic issues that practicing or trainee surgical pathologists face when handling infectious disease tissue specimens.
- Highlights morphological characteristics and landmarks of tissue samples for easy access to information necessary for signing out a specimen.
- Emphasizes the host responses critical in differential diagnosis to serve as a second opinion when non-infectious diagnoses mimic and confound the diagnosis of infection.
- General Principles in the Diagnosis of Infection
- TheBiopsy in the Diagnosis of Infection: ClinicalApproach
- Cytopathology of Infectious and InflammatoryDiseases
- Ultrastructural Diagnosis of Infection
- New Techniques for the Diagnosis of Infection
- Ear, Nose, and ThroatInfections
- Gastrointestinal Infections
- Liver and BileDuct
- InfectiousDiseases of theBoneMarrow and Spleen
- Infection of Bone
- Infections of Joints, Synovial-linedStructures, and SoftTissue
- Perinatal Infections
- Infections of theNervousSystem
- Skin Infections
By Richard L. Kradin, MD, Associate Pathologist and Associate Physician at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA. Associate Professor of Medicine and Pathology at Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA.