Schmidek and Sweet has been an indispensable reference for neurosurgery training and practice for nearly 50 years and the 7th Edition of Operative Neurosurgical Techniques continues this tradition of excellence. A new editorial board led by editor-in-chief Dr. Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa along with more than 330 internationally acclaimed contributors ensures that readers stay fully up to date with rapid changes in the field. New chapters surgical videos and quick-reference features throughout make this edition a must-have resource for expert procedural guidance for today’s practitioners.
- Discusses indications, operative techniques, complications, and results for nearly every routine and specialized procedure for brain, spinal, and peripheral nerve problems in adult patients.
- Covers the latest techniques and knowledge in deep brain stimulation for epilepsy, movement disorders, dystonia, and psychiatric disorders; surgical management of blast injuries; invasive electrophysiology in functional neurosurgery; and interventional management of cerebral aneurysms and arterio-venous malformations.
- Includes new chapters on bypass techniques in vascular disease, previously coiled aneurysms, CSF diversion procedures, surgical management of posterior fossa cystic and membranous obstruction, laser-ablation techniques, and brain stem tumors.
- Explores hot topics such as wide-awake surgery and ventriculo-peritoneal, ventriculoatrial and ventriculo-pleural shunts.
- Provides detailed visual guidance with more than 1,600 full-color illustrations and 50 procedural videos.
- Contains quick-reference boxes with surgical pearls and complications.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
By Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa, MD, FAANS, FACS, Professor, Chair of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida